About the job Sr. Engineer - UI Development
Who We Are
Every year, nearly two million African students seek places at global universities. However, there are many gaps still holding back the transformative potential of African youth.
At 8B Education Investments, our mission is to enable African brilliance to have a global impact and level the playing field for students who want to pursue their education in global universities.
We are building a technology platform and comprehensive community to equip students with the resources they need to navigate the exploration, selection, and application processes to their best-fit universities and programs. We are connecting students with the financing, networks, and career tools they need to succeed. We are also partnering with universities, employers, and global influencers to accelerate opportunities for Africas most ambitious youth.
Who you are:
We are seeking a highly skilled Sr. Engineer who is passionate about building user interfaces that solve complex problems. The ideal candidate must have a strong background in WordPress (setup, coding, and customization), HTML, and API integrations. The Sr. Engineer will be responsible for creating and maintaining a high-quality user experience on our platform and should have a proven track record of success in this area.
- Self-motivating and self-directing with a passion for making progress. You thrive in an environment that grants a lot of autonomy to explore creative solutions
- Highly technical, yet creative, fully hands-on team leader with experience managing third parties for specialized projects
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and the ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical, international audience
- Ambitious enough to feel you can help change the course for an entire continent (and the world!)
Responsibilities & Requirements
- Experience integrating third-party tools and platforms into existing software systems
- Strong understanding of API protocols such as REST, SOAP, and GraphQL
- Proven experience in building high-quality and responsive user experiences
- 4+ years of web development experience
- Strong communication skills, ability to work in a team, and a customer-focused mindset
- Experience building and scaling community platforms with a strong understanding and respect for UI/UX
- Experience working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically
- Experience with mobile application development is a plus
- Start-up experience is a plus
- Design and develop user interfaces, menus, tabs, and widgets, that are visually appealing and easy to use
- Create WordPress themes and templates, and customize them to meet specific requirements
Integrate front-end and back-end systems using APIs
Create and maintain HTML and CSS code for our web pages
- Work closely with the product team to understand requirements and illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows and sitemaps
- Work closely with senior stakeholders both inside and outside the company to understand business requirements and help translate these into technical requirements for the development team
- Manage the technical roadmap and ensure the team is aligned with the company's overall goals and objectives
Diversity Commitment: We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive team. We welcome people of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives and are an equal equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.