About the job (ACT) Adjunct Instructor in Mathematics
ACT (the American College of Thessaloniki), the tertiary division of Anatolia College, is seeking Mathematics Instructor(s). The position is a temporary part-time assignment (September 2023 - December 2023) and may be renewable upon the agreement of all parties.
The Mathematics Instructor provides the expertise and knowledge that supports the college curriculum and programs, establishes courses following accepted higher education standards, teaches students (lecture and/or laboratory) using a variety of effective methodologies, and engages students in learning activities. The incumbent can carry a teaching load of 1 up to 3 courses per term, with demonstrated expertise and experience in classroom teaching in area(s) of Mathematics, and participate in the activities of the Division and the College.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate skill and knowledge in teaching discipline.
- Make continuous efforts to improve the quality of instruction by reviewing and utilizing innovative technologies, methodologies, techniques, and delivery methods.
- Develop and use a syllabus for each course (or laboratory) within college, discipline, and departmental guidelines and submit one copy to the department chair.
- Use a variety of teaching methods and materials, appropriate for students with differing educational and experiential backgrounds and learning styles that assist them in meeting course objectives.
- Evaluate students to measure their progress toward achievement of stated course objectives, and inform them of their progress in the course in a timely manner.
- Keep accurate student records and submit related reports and forms within requested timelines.
- Learn and apply technologies that support student learning.
- Keep pace with developments in the discipline.
- Participate in discipline committee or program meetings and activities.
- Review, evaluate, and revise program curricula and practices to assure compliance with professional standards, and requirements of business/industry, and higher education.
- Undergraduate Degree in Mathematics or closely related field is required.
- Candidates holding a Masters degree in the discipline will be considered but preference will be given to those who hold a Doctoral degree in Mathematics or closely related discipline.
- Before being hired to teach a course, the applicant must be registered in the Colleges Teachers Registry of the Ministry of Education (Μητρώο Διδασκόντων Κολλεγίων).
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Proficiency in the development of Mathematics curriculum and course development
- Experience with current best practices in Mathematics lecture and lab instruction
- Leadership experience in an educational environment with sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities
- Ability to work in a diverse work environment
- Willingness and ability to teach day or evening classes
- Knowledge and skill in a variety of computer usage and software
- Ability to inspire and motivate students in a student-centered environment
- Fluency in English
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with and effectively manage a diverse professional, community and student population
- A minimum of one or more years of college-level teaching experience or other relevant work experience is required. College-level teaching experience at a US Accredited higher education institution is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to serve in an administrative capacity.
- Letter of interest outlining qualifications for the position.
- Complete Curriculum Vitae.
- List of at least 3 professional references, including name, address, title, telephone number, and e-mail.
- Short-listed candidates must also submit College/University Transcripts listing coursework and grades for undergraduate and graduate degrees earned.
NOTE: Degree holders from foreign colleges/universities outside Greece must be recognized by DOATAP and the successful candidate must be registered in the College Faculty Registry at the Greek Ministry of Education (Μητρώο Διδασκόντων Κολλεγίων) by the time of the appointment. Copies of all relevant transcripts must be initially submitted with the application for consideration. Official transcripts are required at the time of employment.
All material must be submitted in pdf format and in a compressed folder indicating in the file name, the last and first name of the applicant as well as the indication Mathematics-Instructor.
While applications will be accepted until the position is filled, interested applicants are encouraged to submit their application package, in English, titled by their names, by Friday, June 9, 2023.
Disclaimer: The American College of Thessaloniki has no political, governmental or religious affiliations. ACT values a diverse college community. ACT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, age, or disability in the recruitment and admissions of its students, in the administration of its educational policies and programs, or its recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff.