About the job Chemist
BetaTec is the application arm of the Barth-Haas Group, the world's oldest and largest hops company. BetaTec focuses on applying natural hop compounds to new applications beyond the traditional brewing base. Applications include the ethanol, sugar, and yeast industries and extend to additives and ingredients for foods and beverages.
BetaTec has an exceptional opportunity for a creative R&D professional. We seek a highly motivated person to join our Research and Development team as an R&D Chemist in our Innovation Centre, Malvern, England. The individual should be able to independently design, conduct scientific experiments, develop new products, and improve the quality of existing products. The candidate will be part of a team producing new hop products and facilitating the improvement of established hop technologies using botanical extraction techniques, organic synthesis, and analytical techniques.
Duties and responsibilities
- Independently design and conduct scientific experiments that include simple reactions, purification, extractions, and characterization of intermediates and final products.
- Develop new products and improve the quality of existing products.
- Analyze and identify hop-related compounds using HPLC and spectroscopic techniques related to specification, customer request, and chemical stability.
- Communicate verbally and in written form with clarity and purpose, and be comfortable presenting your research to the team.
- Produce high-quality written reports and manage time effectively with multiple projects to agreed delivery dates.
- Ensure accurate record keeping of all research work.
- Ability to conduct an effective literature search for projects.
- Safely conduct laboratory operations. Maintain familiarity with the Chemical Hygiene Plan. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices according to H&S guidelines.
- Participate in routine maintenance of lab equipment and other lab responsibilities as needed.
- You will have an MSc in Chemistry (preferred) or a Bachelor of Science with industrial experience and a solid understanding of organic chemistry and analytical techniques.
- The candidate will possess strong ethics/integrity and passion for our work.
- Desire to work in a team-first, collaborative, fast-paced environment, to learn new techniques and technologies, and embrace continuous improvement.
- Learn new skills and efficiently solve problems.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities, and balance workload and time to achieve deadlines.
- Hands-on experience analysing and characterizing molecules using HPLC, GC, MS, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- 37.5 Hours per Week Monday to Friday
- Participation in the Company Bonus Scheme
- Paid Holiday: 25 working days (holiday year is April to March) plus statutory holidays
- Pension: Employer contribution of 9% on a minimum employee contribution of 2%
- Vitality Private Medical Insurance: for employee (other family members may be added at your expense.)
- Bupa Wellness cash plan: a range of dental, optical and other cash benefits for employee (other family members may be added at your expense.)
- My Benefits : a range of subsidised rewards, e.g. Sainsbury, Morrison, Boots, Vue cinemas and many restaurants, and gym membership.
- Life Assurance 2 x salary.
- Free on-site parking