Founded in 2007, Softcom is on a mission to connect people and businesses with meaningful innovation. The focus of this vision is on the African continent and they want to be at the center of any endeavor that improves the quality of learning, work and how we live through innovation. They have enabled over 10 million people around the world through platforms built by them.
They are heavily engrossed with improving lives and businesses by developing solutions in human identification and verification with a goal of building an infrastructure that enables businesses serve and reach more customers, Enabling access to financial services for all, improving knowledge to help develop human capital and also devising solutions around data to help businesses and individuals make smarter decisions.
They are constantly building technology that connects people and add value that will transform their lives and businesses.
About the role
Softcom is looking to hire a Manager for their data engineering team who will be responsible for building and leading the engineering team. You will take on leadership of the team with an eye for growth of team members professionally and technically. You should be excited about data and be able to effectively manage operations and execute projects as may be required.
What do you need to be considered successful?
You should have a solid understanding of how data engineering can help solve societal problems and have a knack for driving operational efficiency among team members. You will lead the planning, execution and success of complex technical projects through the data product. You’ll also be responsible for the following:
- Proactively drive the business vision for data engineering in collaboration with the SVP, Engineering, and define and execute on a plan to achieve that vision.
- Build a high-quality data engineering team, providing technical guidance, career development, and mentoring to team members.
- Build cross-functional relationships with key stakeholders across the business - business leaders, product managers, project managers, and software engineering team leads to understand data needs and deliver on those needs.
- Manage the development of data resources and support new and existing product launches.
- Manage the delivery of high impact dashboards and data visualizations for business decision making.
How Important Are you to the Bottom-line?
Your efficiency on this role determines the level of confidence the company has in taking business decisions. You’re also a key player in the successful execution of complex technical projects and you also define the growth and expertise of the data engineering team at Softcom.
The biggest Problem Solving Duties on the job
You’ll have the exciting challenge of building a team that can seamlessly translate data into actionable insights while keeping an eye on the overall business vision. You’ll be responsible for the carer growth and technical development of your team members and meet the needs of different functions within the organization.
What do you need to have done in your career?
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in Data Engineering, BI, or Data Warehousing.
- Experience scaling, mentoring, and managing other Data Engineers, Data Scientists, and Data Analysts, ensuring data engineering best practices are being followed.
- Outstanding communication skills and leadership experience, with experience initiating and driving projects.
- Experience with SQL based technologies like PostgreSQL and MySQL Workbench.
- Experience with Hadoop-based technologies like MapReduce, Hive, and Pig.
- Experience with NoSQL technologies like Cassandra or MongoDB.
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as Python, R, Weka, NumPy, Pandas, MatLab, etc. Excellence in at least one of these is highly desirable
- Experience with data visualization tools, such as D3.js, GGplot, etc.
- Project management experience.
- Data architecture experience.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, or other technical fields.
What do you stand to gain
- Contribute to the development of infrastructure that transforms lives and business within Africa.
- Build the future of data engineering at softcom
- Competitive remuneration