About the job Billing Associate
Position Title: Billing Associate
Salary: 20,000 - 25,000 a month
Reports To: Account Manager, Client
Primary Relationships: Client
Date: November 2021
Schedule: USA Business Hours
Medical billing specialists are responsible for organizing and maintaining patient health information in both electronic and hard copies. Learn and use a variety of coding systems to sort and maintain patient medical data and history of treatment for various uses such as insurance reimbursement and inclusion in databases and registries. Billing specialists ensure health information is accessible but also secure from unnecessary access. Everyone on our office team has a role to play in providing great customer service for a broad cross-section of clients, so you will get to use your excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as accuracy in this demanding role. We want you to succeed and provide you all the support you need, so you can grow in your job and your career. You will be required to prepare reports and maintain appropriate filing systems digitally (online). You will assist with documents that are related to the client and its departments. In this position, the ability to maintain confidentiality is crucial as you will handle critical and personal information. To do this role properly you should be detail-oriented and have excellent organizational skills so you can handle tasks such as filing and keeping records.
Your role requires knowledge using computers, including Microsoft Office, Google Suite, e-mail, and other online software. Knowledge of data entry and medical billing is a must. Ultimately, a successful Medical Billing Specialist should help ensure efficient day-to-day operations of the
● Obtaining referrals and pre-authorizations as required for
● Checking eligibility and benefits verification for treatments,
hospitalizations, and procedures.
● Reviewing patient bills for accuracy and completeness, and
obtaining any missing information.
● Preparing, reviewing, and transmitting claims using billing
software, including electronic and paper claim processing.
● Answering all patient or insurance telephone inquiries pertaining
to assigned accounts.
● Checking each insurance payment for accuracy and compliance
with contract discount.
● Calling insurance companies regarding any discrepancy in
payments if necessary
● Following up on unpaid claims within the standard billing cycle
● Setting up patient payment plans and work collection accounts.
● Updating cash spreadsheets, and running collection reports.
● Identifying and billing secondary or tertiary insurances.
● Reviewing accounts for insurance of patient follow-up.
● Researching and appealing denied claims.
● Updating billing software with rate changes.
● Review Jellybean labs following an algorithm
● Review E Jellybean prescriptions - follow an algorithm
● Email lab orders the following day to patients
● Review missed appointments and create reminders for follow up
including addition to a spreadsheet
● Send messages weekly to patients asking them to RSVP regarding
their appointment purpose
● Two day per week progress notes prepped and labs ordered (per
algorithm) and transmitted
● Three days per month labs and messaging printed out using
● College Graduate; additional qualification as a Medical Billing
Specialist or Nurse is required
● High level understanding of both written and spoken English is
● Proven experience as a Medical Biller, virtual assistant or nurse
● Detail-oriented and a high level of accuracy in work product
● Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
● Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask
● Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
● Working knowledge of EMR Systems
● Ability to maintain confidentiality
● Medical Biller, Nurse, or Admin in the medical field of experience
for a minimum of 1-year.
● Basic knowledge of computers, data entry, MS Office, and Google
Suite are a plus