About the job Radiology Technologist (Full-Time)
Radiology Technologist (Full-Time)
Medical Imaging Department
Reports to Operations Supervisor
The Radiologic Technologist performs a wide variety of routine and advanced imaging procedures and works under the direction of the Operations Supervisor. The Radiologic Technologist uses a wide variety of radiographic equipment, computers, and detectors. The incumbent must be able to provide basic maintenance and repairs, participate in QA, and resolve issues related to image processing and the image archiving system.
The Radiologic Technologist works with a variety of radiology modalities available at the hospital. The Radiologic Technologist must have the knowledge to make quick and highly technical decisions in order to accommodate physical restrictions and pathology. The incumbent must be able to resolve conflict and endure the pressures associated with a constantly changing work environment.
The incumbent may independently perform procedures on adults, geriatric patients, adolescents, and pediatric age groups and performs patient assessment within the scope of practice. The Radiologic Technologist works collaboratively with staff to prioritize and organize schedules and to triage exams.
Operates Radiology equipment to obtain radiographs for diagnostic purposes. Must be willing to cross train with Computed Tomography (CT).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Direct Patient Care:
- Competent in performing all general and advanced level imaging procedures and provides support for other Imaging Technologists as needed.
- Analysis and Communication:
- Checks the order for complete information, proper exam and/or procedure and schedules as needed.
- Determines if additional technical support is required and follows the proper procedure for obtaining
- Adheres to established section and organizational protocols, QA guidelines and regulatory requirements.
- Interacts appropriately with patients and all care providers.
- Imaging Procedures:
- Sets up the imaging room to coincide with the examination being performed to include the use of proper isolation precautions when needed.
- Uses two patient identifiers.
- Explains all studies to patients prior to the exam in a caring manner, provides resources to patients and family members about the CT exam and refers them, if appropriate, to the physician or clinic personnel.
- Sets up trays, performs time out, prepares contrasts and assists physicians in performing procedures.
- Safely transfers patient to and from carts, beds, and wheelchairs.
- Positions the patient, ensuring patient comfort and modesty.
- Selects proper imaging devices and sets the machine to obtain optimal images.
- Accurately critiques images to determine if they are of diagnostic quality and adjusts factors if an image needs to be repeated.
- and maintaining intravenous (IV) access as prescribed by a licensed independent practitioner.
- Responsibilities Supporting Patient Care:
- Performs patient assessment and screening within the scope of practice.
- Uses a variety of imaging equipment and understands the capabilities and limitations of each piece of equipment.
- Uses the image archiving system and maintains an expertise in data and image transfer.
- Notifies Supervisor when equipment malfunctions and notifies the appropriate vendor.
- Cleans, disinfects, and inspects equipment.
- Checks the status of the imaging equipment to ensure device is in proper operating condition.
- Performs Quality Assurance testing to ensure proper calibration and optimal performance of equipment.
Qualifications and Competency:
- Minimum - Graduate of a School of Radiologic Technology or Hospital Based 2 year course
- Work Experience:
- Preferred - Previous healthcare experience
- Preferred - Two (2) years of clinical experience
- Licenses and Certifications:
- Certification by appropriate body (ARRT) and valid New York Radiological License.
- BLS certification required within 3 months of hire
- Maintains licensure, certifications and ongoing CEUs for professional development on a timely basis
- IV Certification or ability to obtain within 3 months of hire
- CT Certification
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Self-motivated & directed with regard to an increasing level of understanding and knowledge.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects and meets objectives and deadlines.
- Effective oral and written professional communication skills.
- Ability to demonstrate ethical and professional behaviors at all times.
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality and privacy.
- Ability to comply with all HIPAA requirements
- Ability to use initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with patients, families, healthcare professionals and external vendors.
- Knowledge regarding quality improvement and standards of care within practice area.
- Capable of demonstrating flexibility with demands of external/internal customers placed on operating functions of the department.
- Basic computer skills.
- Capable of wearing lead aprons for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work overtime and be on-call as needed.
Position type, expected hours of work, travel requirements:
This is a full-time position. Hours worked will be scheduled in advance but will vary based on the needs of the organization. Being available on an as needed basis or on-call is required.
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to carry out complex oral and written directions.
- Able to transport patient(s) by wheelchair or stretcher.
- Assist in transferring patients as needed.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds maximum with frequent lifting/and or carrying objects weighing up to 25
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
*This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.