PERSONAL SUPPORT WORKER - ROCKWOOD TERRACE
Join us and help make a difference in healthcare! We are proud to be home to 300+ residents across our three long term care communities. Our team members pride themselves in providing exemplary person-centered quality care. Our Colour It Your Way philosophy is our framework and foundation that guides us to ensuring our residents and team members have a positive and rewarding experience. We are looking for enthusiastic caring individuals who are dedicated and have the desire to be part of a team that enriches the lives of others.
Come join us and be part of our Colour It Care Team.
Rockwood Terrace is currently recruiting Permanent Part Time Personal Support Workers.
The Personal Support Worker works under the direction of the RPN and/or RN to provide excellent personal care to residents and is accountable to the PSW Coordinator. Primary functions include providing care according to the established resident care plan including all components of activities of daily living and supporting participation in recreational and therapeutic activities.
The Personal Support Worker is required to perform their duties in a manner that is consistent with the Core Values of the home that supports the Colour It resident led philosophy of care to ensure resident safety, and demonstrate customer service excellence.
- Provide for personal care in accordance with established policy, physicians orders, the resident plan of care and within the scope of practice of a PSW;
- Contribute to and follows a plan of care to meet residents assessed need;
- Responsible for maintaining accurate and complete records of personal care delivered;
- Demonstrate a professional working knowledge of all equipment used in the delivery of nursing care;
- Follow all corporate policies and procedures;
- Seek direction from the RPN and/or RN when resident need exceeds experience or scope of practice
- Observe, reports, records resident conditions and follows care plans as directed by the RN and/or RPN;
- Assist in maintaining an environment appropriate to meet residents individualized needs.
- Established job routines for all personal support workers on a daily basis;
- Effectively participates in care conferences with the interdisciplinary team providing care to the residents;
- Ensures that care provided is documented as required in a timely manner using the assigned documentation tools.
- Participates in all aspects of the Quality and Risk management program as it pertains to nursing;
- Ensures the collection of clinical indicators within time line on a monthly basis as assigned;
- Contributes to the development of recommendations for corrective action to reach corporate mean for clinical indicators;
- Maintains personal accountability for completion of monthly audits as assigned.
- Ensures appropriate utilization of all supplies and equipment.
- Participates in an effective orientation, and performance management process in accordance with County of Grey standards for all employees within the nursing department;
- Identifies nursing department learning needs and communicates to leadership within the home;
- Models positive working relationships with the union and employee representatives;
- Actively participates in the annual educational program.
Occupational Health & Safety
- Advises supervisor or designate immediately of all staff incidents that may result in an Occupational Accident Claim, any concerns with the physical plant, incidents or injuries and completes required reports;
- Follows all health and safety policies and procedures. Works safely to reduce the risk of injury to self, co-workers, and residents;
- Wears personal protective equipment as designated;
- Maintains a clean, safe environment for residents utilizing infection control principles;
- Maintains a sound working knowledge of their roles and responsibilities during all emergency situations when working different shifts.
Family & Resident Relations
- Contributes to positive customer service with residents and families in day to day work;
- Deals tactfully and courteously with residents, residents family, visitors and staff in a positive manner.
Ministry of Health Compliance
- Contributes to good working relationships with relevant persons within the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC);
- Knows MOHLTC legislation, regulation and process;
- Contributes to the implementation of processes and systems to ensure compliance to all standards on an ongoing basis.
Additional Skills for Personal Support Workers
- Under direction, through a Transfer of Function, the Personal Support Worker may perform and record the taking of vital signs, apply prescription creams and report all findings to registered staff.
- Modern facility, temperature controlled, smoke free environment;
- Hours of work include scheduled shifts and call-ins, and may include day, evening, night shifts, weekdays and weekends. There is a requirement to work statutory holidays;
- Work is in a home-like medical care area and requires interaction with residents and their families. The workplace is fast paced, with frequent disruptions and distractions, while meeting preset deadlines. Must be flexible to changing needs of the residents, staff and operational issues, as they are presented.
- Internal Working Relationships
- PSW Coordinator, other managers, Registered Nurse, Registered Practical Nurse and other employees, Residents, OT/PT
- External Working Relationships
- Families, MOHLTC Inspectors, contract service providers
Knowledge and Skill
- Personal Support Workers must have completed a personal support worker program approved under the Long Term Care Homes Act, 2007 and Ontario Regulations 79/10 or have qualifications as identified under Ontario Regulations 79/10 47(3);
- Experience in a long-term care setting is preferable;
- Proficiency in interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Basic computer skills;
- An ability to take direction as well as understanding policies and procedures is required;
- A caring and empathetic attitude is crucial, as well as working pro-actively as a member of the multi-disciplinary team;
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Impact of Error
- Errors may lead to ineffective performance and may result in injury to self, others and residents. Furthermore, errors may result in a loss of public confidence, credibility and create a liability to the corporation.
Grey County is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and promotes a culture of respect where all team members are valued for their unique talents, knowledge and lived experiences.
Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants are encouraged to outline accommodation needs when submitting their application. If alternate methods of application are required, candidates can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
Based on the nature of the position, pre-employment screening may be required including but not limited to; Criminal Record Searches, Financial Credit Inquiries; Educational and Credential Verification; Drivers Abstracts; Drug/Alcohol Testing; Pre-Medical Testing and Investigative Employment References.
CA$ 27.58 - 33.30 (Canadian Dollar)