Join us and help make a difference in healthcare! We are proud to be home to 300+ residents across our three long term care communities. Our team members pride themselves in providing exemplary person-centered quality care. Our Colour It Your Way philosophy is our framework and foundation that guides us to ensuring our residents and team members have a positive and rewarding experience. We are looking for enthusiastic caring individuals who are dedicated and have the desire to be part of a team that enriches the lives of others. Come join us and be part of our Colour It Care Team.
THIS POSITION IS PERMANENT WITH NO GUARANTEE OF HOURS (CALL INS ETC.).
Under the direction of the Nutrition Manager, the Cook is responsible for optimal food preparation to residents and families based on legislative requirements and County of Grey
The Cook is required to perform their duties in a manner that is consistent with the Core Values of the home that supports the Colour It resident led philosophy of care to ensure resident safety, and demonstrate customer service excellence.
- Prepare and/or be responsible for the preparation/delivery of food following therapeutic diets according to planned menus for residents and guests (as required);
- Reviews menus before preparing meals and prepares and serves them properly and attractively;
- Ensures use of proper food handling techniques;
- In consultation with Nutrition Manager, makes menu substitutions as necessary and records these in the designated place(s). Meets time schedule for service of meals and nourishments;
- Follows daily production charts, standardized recipes and daily composite menus, while working within a set budget;
- Assists in converting recipes to different quantities and preparing/following daily production charts;
- Dates, labels, and stores food properly;
- Participates actively in planning/preparing special occasion and theme meal days;
- Assists in receiving and storing incoming food and supplies;
- Count physical food inventory at year end.
- Promotes the County of Grey philosophy of Pleasurable Dining;
- Manages mealtime activities in the absence of Food Service Worker
- Assists in serving meals, following resident's diet and food preferences using proper serving utensils and portion sizes.
- Quality Management
- Participates actively in department's Quality Management program and any department/facility committees as requested;
- Performs audits as required;
- Completes all necessary documentation (food and refrigeration temperatures, dish machine temperatures if applicable, menu changes) as assigned;
- Monitors quality of food supplies received and advises the Nutrition Manger of problems. Reports food, supply, and equipment needs to the Nutrition Manger;
- Alerts the Nutrition Manger to problems and makes recommendations about corrective action.
- Assists with maintaining the security of the department.
- Oversees the dietary department in the absence of the Nutrition Manager;
- Promotes a positive team spirit within the department;
- Assists in the orientation and training of new dietary employees;
- Attends department and facility staff meetings, in-services and other required training sessions;
- Provide ongoing coaching to Dietary staff.
Occupational Health and Safety
- Advises supervisor or designate immediately of all staff incidents that may result in an Occupational Accident Claim, any concerns with the physical plant, incidents or injuries and completes required reports;
- Follows all health and safety policies and procedures. Works safely to reduce the risk of injury to self, co-workers, and residents;
- Wears personal protective equipment as designated;
- Maintains a clean, safe environment for residents utilizing infection control principles;
- Maintains a sound working knowledge of their roles and responsibilities during all emergency situations when working different shifts.
Ministry of Health Compliance
- Contributes to good working relationships with relevant persons within the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC);
- Knows and interprets MOHLTC legislation, regulation and process;
- Contributes to the implementation of processes and systems to ensure compliance to all standards on an ongoing basis.
- Modern facility, temperature controlled;
- Early morning, evening, and weekend work required;
- Regular exposure to temperature extremes, noise, biochemical agents and wet floors;
- Exposure to hazards from use of kitchen utensils and equipment;
- Hours of work include scheduled shifts and call-ins, and may include day, evening, night shifts, weekdays and weekends. There is a requirement to work statutory holidays; Work is in a home-like medical care area and requires interaction with residents and their families. The workplace is fast paced, with frequent disruptions and distractions, while meeting preset deadlines. Must be flexible to changing needs of the residents, staff and operational issues, as they are presented.
Internal Working Relationships
- Nutrition Manager, other managers, front line staff, Residents
External Working Relationships
- Families, MOHLTC Inspectors, Public Health, contract service providers
Knowledge and Skill
- Must have successfully completed chef training or a culinary management diploma or qualifications as identified under Ontario Long Term Care Homes Act, 2007 and Regulations 79/10 76(2);
- Must maintain up to date certification in the Food Safety Awareness Program offered by Public Health;
- Must have experience in large quantity food preparation, preferably in health care or long term care setting;Must be able to read, write and accurately follow written and verbal instructions. Basic computer skills are required;
- Must demonstrate a creative flair for menu planning, food preparation and presentation;
- Must be knowledgeable of the Ontario Food Premises Regulation, Food Safety Code of Practice and Canada's Food Guide to Healthy Eating;
- Must have working knowledge of special and therapeutic diets;
- Must be able to work and communicate effectively with residents of a LTC home;
- Must have leadership ability and be able to direct the dietary department in the absence of the Nutrition Manager.
Impact of Error
- Errors in food handling and serving could result in negative resident outcomes, loss of satisfaction and trust with Residents, families, Public Health and Ministry officials.
- Errors may lead to ineffective performance and may result in injury to self, others and residents. Furthermore, errors may result in a loss of public confidence, credibility and create a liability to the corporation.
Grey County is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and promotes a culture of respect where all team members are valued for their unique talents, knowledge and lived experiences.
Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants are encouraged to outline accommodation needs when submitting their application. If alternate methods of application are required, candidates can email email@example.com.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
Based on the nature of the position, pre-employment screening may be required including but not limited to; Criminal Record Searches, Financial Credit Inquiries; Educational and Credential Verification; Drivers Abstracts; Drug/Alcohol Testing; Pre-Medical Testing and Investigative Employment References.
CA$ 26.60 - 31.45 (Canadian Dollar)