About the job Senior Design Engineer (UK)
Daye is a leader in gynae health and we're expanding into new markets. Incorporated in 2018, were a fast growing, highly competitive new venture with over 40 team members. We are headquartered in London, UK with offices in Sofia, Bulgaria. To date, Daye is trusted by over 60,000 people with periods and has successfully raised $5.5 million in seed funding, and $11 million in series A funding from high profile investors based in Silicon Valley and London, UK.
At the heart of Daye is R&D and most of our processes are vertically integrated, including our tampon production. We are building a comprehensive gynae health platform that will address all areas of women's health, from first menstruation through to menopause, and beyond. Our goals are to bridge the gender gap in medical research, and product innovation, by designing products rooted in science and inspired by women's intuition.
For example; one of our key hypotheses was that tampons can be used for a lot more than just soaking up menstrual fluid. Therefore, we designed:
- a pain-relieving tampon to help the 90% of women who suffer cramps;
- a tampon to detect STIs and HPV;
- a tampon to treat common vaginal infections like candida and BV.
We are currently working on several new digital and physical products and are in the process of expanding to the US and EU markets. We exist to raise the standards in gynae health by creating innovative products and services that fit conveniently into our lives, and we need exceptional talent to help achieve our mission.
About the opportunity
Were a highly complex venture, as the majority of our processes are vertically integrated. The Product team at Daye covers a variety of domains from New Product Development, Product Testing, User Research, Usability Studies, Machine and Process Design, Machine Validation, through to supporting Quality and Process Engineering Teams.
Were looking for high-growth potential individuals, who are driven and curious. Joining our team will provide endless learning opportunities across a variety of Design Engineering and Product processes. You will be working closely with our Founder Valentina to ensure Daye's Product Development Engine meets the requirements of the customers and the business, and delivers on our mission to bridge the gender gap in medical research.
As the Design Engineering Manager, you will have the exciting opportunity to cover the domains of:
- Design entirely novel, better functioning products for menstrual, vaginal and hormonal health
- Lead user research for new product development
- Work to beat industry monopolies by bringing manufacturing in house
- Experiment with novel materials to ensure we minimize waste and deliver on our sustainability commitments (e.g. flushable tampon wrappers, compostable applicators, biodegradable pads, etc.)
- Make a tangible improvement to the lives of thousands of women (check out our Trustpilot reviews here)
Over the next 12 months, we're looking to 5x our current subscriber base, which means you'll be part of a Company on an exceptionally high growth journey.
What were looking for
An experienced product and machine design engineering wizard with a passion for gynae health. Great interpersonal skills will enable you to develop strong relationships across the business, ensuring that Design Engineering best practices and data-driven decision-making sit at the core of Dayes product development engine. This role will be offered as a 12-month fixed-term contract initially, with scope for full-time thereafter.
- Highly adaptable and comfortable with high levels of ambiguity.
- Passionate about female-centered design and sustainability.
- Being curious to ideate, test and measure new design ideas.
- Obsessed with understanding and serving the Daye customer.
- Driven by creating positive social and environmental impact.
- Obsessed with self-organization and exhibiting high levels of autonomy, as well as comfort with ambiguity
- A demonstrated can-do attitude.
- Impeccable attention to detail and a deep commitment to accuracy.
- Technical background - a mechanical engineering, design engineering, automation engineering, product design, industrial design or materials science bachelors or Masters (preferred) degree from an accredited University
- Hands-on Complex Engineering Project Management experience in startup and/or scale-up business including great comfort with managing budgets and timelines.
- Experience in developing novel sustainable materials or polymers would be preferred.
- Experience designing, managing and successfully taking new products to market, Medical Device Experience preferred.
- Experience in planning and conducting Usability Testing.
- Demonstrable commitment to working with KPIs and OKRs.
- Comfortable working with projects in the R&D phase, dealing with ambiguity and shifting priorities.
- Expert communication and presentation skills required.
- A background in design for experiments methodology and experience of conducting/supervising experiments and analysing data with statistical research methods.
- Highly proficient CAD skills (ideally Solidworks).
- Act as the project lead on an exciting new Innovate UK funded project to radically transform the menstrual health market. Deliver the project within scope, schedule and budgets.
- Lead weekly project meetings and ensure every stakeholder is in alignment on next steps.
- Liaise with the management team to define the project requirements, scopes and objectives as well as timelines and budgets.
- Act as a point of communication and manage internal and external stakeholders for the teams projects.
- Be the champion for the voice of the customer.
- Assist the strategic planning and development of the company with unique ideas and individual perspectives.
- Oversee the development of new products and associated materials to continually disrupt the menstrual healthcare industry.
- Prepare annual spend forecasts and budgets with the support of our CFO.
- Track progress against annual budgets, and own the product P&L.
- Provide insights when the product development costs don't go to plan.
- Ensure that Daye's products and machines can be made accessible to women and entrepreneurs in a broad range of socio-economic contexts around the world as the company wishes to make its early prototypes available to communities in the Global South and the continent of Africa.
- Support the maintenance of a company-wide ISO 13485 Quality Management System.
- Manage Design History file creation for medical Device classified Products
- Support the writing and submission of funding grants.
Why join us
Working at Daye, you will be collaborating with a passionate, motivated and international group of top performers. Our team is big enough so you can grow, but lean enough so you can make a real impact. We're always pushing boundaries, for us thats the first step to a fulfilling and rewarding career. We move fast and we are not afraid of making mistakes or adapting. We believe no problem is too big to solve. We also believe everyone is an owner, which gives all of us at Daye the scope and space to grow. For this we offer:
- Remuneration - Competitive pay rates with yearly salary reviews
- Growth - Paid training opportunities (e.g. certificates, conference visits)
- Flexibility - Work whenever and wherever works best for you, Flexi Fridays
- Work-life balance - 20 days paid vacation per year excluding bank holidays and collective weeks off in August and between Christmas and New Year
- Parental leave - Generous shared parental leave and return to work policy
- Healthcare - Private health insurance
- Wellness - Free professional coaching, Mental Health Day
- Work environment - Diverse, yet like-minded, casual & sociable community
Does this role sound like a good fit? Apply today by sending us your CV and portfolio of things you've built.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.