About the job Smelter Operation Readiness - Supervisor, Turnarounds and Shutdowns
Under limited supervision, the Supervisor, Turnarounds and Shutdowns is ultimately responsible for the safe completion of all identified turnaround work by developing, coordinating, and implementing fully integrated plans. Supervisor, Turnarounds and Shutdowns is responsible for managing equipment life cycle to determine appropriate forecasting, scheduling, and scope of equipment repair or replacement. The coordinator requires a high degree of collaboration with site stakeholders at all stages of a turnaround (i.e. before, during, and after). This position reports to the Superintendent, Planning & Reliability.
- Maintain long-term, strategic plan for repair or replacement of assets based on equipment life cycle management best practices or standards.
- Develop and recommend the overall turnaround strategy based on actual state of assets (as validatedby performance measurements or monitoring) and equipment life cycle plan.
- Coordinate planning needs including but not limited to scope development, equipment technical specifications, engineering, contract negotiations and procurement so that all significant planning milestones are completed in advance and do not jeopardize turnaround schedule or costs.
- Establish forecast/budget and submits appropriate AFE for turnaround work.
- Establishes appropriate meetings, project controls, tracking, and communication mechanisms for both planning and execution phases of turnaround to maintain visibility on cost, resource, schedule, or scope changes, initiating corrective action to mitigate risk wherever safe and possible to do so.
- Identify appropriate internal and external manpower resourcing requirements for turnaround execution.
- Assist maintenance planning department in the identification of required spare parts, consumables, and material required for successful execution of turnarounds, including the management of internal Materials Tracking and ensuring that all requisite spare parts and materials are identified in a timeframe suitable for the delivery of long-lead items prior to shutdown execution.
- Ensure facilities are in place to accommodate large numbers of contractors, ie: parking lots, hotels, canteens, portable restroom, and shower facilities.
- Ensure appropriate Health, Safety and Environmental plans are developed for safe, responsible, and compliant turnaround activities, making appropriate recommendations or changes when required.
- May supervise internal or external resources or serve as Project Manager or technical expert for certain turnaround work.
- Conduct post-mortem analysis of all turnaround activities, using as a basis to drive continuous improvement.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in an Engineering discipline and five (5) years of experience in engineering or related scientific field, including lead or supervisory experience.
Knowledge; Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of the principles and practices of Engineering
- Able to research and analyze information of considerable difficulty and draw valid conclusions
- Financial skills such as budgeting, forecasting, cost tracking and accruing costs.
- Skilled in managing complex projects and/or plant outages, downstream operations, or engineering projects
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions
- Skilled in following safety practices and recognizing hazards
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
Dateline: 15 December 2023