About the job Java Developer
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
IMC is a leading global market maker, using algorithmic trading and advanced technology to buy and sell securities on multiple trading venues worldwide. We provide liquidity to the financial markets, driving efficiencies for buyers and sellers.
Founded in 1989, we are an ambitious, innovative company and identified early on the importance technology would play in the fast-paced evolution of trading. This entrepreneurial spirit still drives us today and can be found in all of our offices around the world.
We now operate globally from offices in Europe, the US and Asia Pacific. Our employees work closely together in multidisciplinary teams, making our success possible.
Technology - At IMC, technology is not a department, it is at the heart of everything we do. Our technologists push the limits of possibility, and then look beyond. In our fast-paced environment, short feedback loops mean projects worked on in the morning can enter production the next day.
Trading – Although our traders come from many backgrounds they all have one thing in common: they are at their best solving complex problems. Their insight into global events, market shifts and pricing ensure we are trading in the right place, at the right time.
Business Support - Around the world, IMC’s business support teams are essential for sustaining our success. In our dynamic environment, we have many exciting challenges and multidisciplinary opportunities to shape our operations and make a real impact.
Our employees are our greatest asset so we give them lots of responsibility and the support they need to make a difference. Our flat structure fosters a culture of openness and collaboration, encouraging the sharing of ideas and knowledge. It makes no difference if you have been with us for three days or three years, the best idea wins.
While we work hard, we also have a lot of fun; whether solving complex challenges or in team building, leisure and sporting activities. IMC also enables its employees to contribute towards a better society through our foundation.
SOFTWARE ENGINEERING AT IMC:
- We trade in the most competitive markets across the globe. Our software makes millions of trading decisions daily. We win by making better and faster decisions than our competition. As a software developer you’ll be working with traders and engineers to implement strategies that will challenge you to be creative with your implementation. You’ll need to produce solutions which compete in the extremely latency sensitive environment, whilst managing complexity.
- You’ll be working in a highly motivated Amsterdam based team dedicated to delivering challenging projects for our Amsterdam and/or Chicago offices, while controlling end-to-end product development.
- We work in an environment where slight oversights can be extremely costly, while new features can be extremely profitable. As a team we aim to balance the race to production with software quality and testability. You’ll be placed in an environment consisting primarily of Java and C. We have a build chain that has been designed around the concept of daily production releases. An ever-evolving variety of systems and technologies keeps life interesting.
- Upon joining you will be expected to manage your own time and tasks. We rely on our developers to drive change by taking feedback from traders, and shaping that into an implementation. Your ownership of the task continues until a working production release. Our most successful developers comfortably work in any part of our stack.
WHAT MAKES IT FUN?
- One of the most fun aspects of the job is that we have a quick feedback loop. We release early and often to get incremental benefits as they are developed
- We operate at the bleeding edge of technology. If something new can potentially bring an advantage we will actively invest in developing and utilizing the solution
- We really believe in sharing knowledge and technology between the different offices. Much of our technology stack is shared between all 3 regions, and we provide opportunities to travel between the regions both for personal growth and to assist where it has the biggest impact.
- To get the best results we encourage everybody to gain an understanding of both the trading strategy and how exchanges work on a technological level.
- Working at IMC is also an opportunity to learn about financial markets. We know from experience that a lot of people really enjoy learning about a field beyond their immediate area of expertise, it’s one of the things that makes this job more interesting than others.
- We employ a broad range of people with varying backgrounds. What they have in common is their superior technical expertise, their extraordinary smarts and their collaborative approach.
OUR HIRING PROCESS
To set you up for success, you can find our hiring process including tips on applying and interviewing with us on our website. Now it’s up to you! Apply today to start an amazing journey with IMC.