About the job Senior Engineer (NodeJS/Typescript)
Our client Partner Lifebit is an open-source pioneer and their driving mission is to revolutionise bioinformatics and biomedical data analysis forever.
Their product is the world’s first federated genomics platform for unified, secure research over distributed big data. No one has anything close. Think best-in-class UI/UX, seamless integration with open-source tools, powerful cohort browser, advanced AI. Lifebit Cloud OS is leading the industry and leaving competitors in the dust. Lifebit intends to keep it that way!
While they know their technology is unmatched, Lifebit also know they can keep making it greater without an exceptionally strong team to help take it to incredible new heights.
Their engineering and research team is composed of a mix of software, and bioinformatics, currently their engineers are split between Lisbon and London. Software engineers don’t need any prior knowledge or experience in bioinformatics, we solve problems differently to the industry’s standards and favour creative problem solving.
The different teams’ stack includes:
- Backend: NodeJS, TypeScript, MongoDB
- Infrastructure: Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS
- Frontend: React-Redux
- Machine Learning: Python, Pandas, Sklearn, Tensorflow
- Bioinformatics: Nextflow, Conda, Python, R, Bash, Docker, Singularity
As a Senior Backend Engineer in their team, you will:
- Take a leading role in defining software engineering processes and ways of working, not just coding
- Design and lead backend architecture implementation
- Contribute to features across the entire life cycle, from inception to deployment in production
- Navigate in new code and make sense through what you find
- Pick up new technologies and frameworks that suit the needs of products and users
- Demonstrate an interest in working with best practices and principles while contributing to them, in order to keep high quality standards and keep hell far away
- Work towards production deployment rapidly, be able to scale and to be monitored easily
- Enable feature improvements and delivery to be updated on a daily basis
The role requirements below are just an indication of what our client Partner, Lifebit is looking for - sometimes the perfect candidate is far more or less experienced than we anticipated. If you think that might be your case, please reach out and let us know!
You should have a good understanding of best practices of web development and be able to apply them in web development (ES6, JS). Specifically, you have:
- NodeJS experience
- API design and implementation experience
- Understanding of interactions and communication between services at scale (sockets, polling, monitoring)
- Familiarity with TDD
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Experience with HBase, ElasticSearch or MongoDB
- Experience in horizontally scaling microservices over AWS or Google Cloud
- Used communication services with message brokers (RabbitMq, Kafka, ...)
- Experience with services ingesting high volume of transactions and analytics
- A mindset ready to firefight against issues in realtime
- Experience with Docker, AWS, GCP and ops over cloud (nice to have)
- Fluency in English
- Competitive salary and generous stock options
- 25 days of annual leave plus the usual public holidays
- Monthly team activities
- Conferences, events and training resources (Data science, AI, cloud, any tech stack, painting, origami, you pick!) - we offer €1,000 a year to each person for personal development)
- International and diverse team