Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment as preemptively adopted standards that comply with the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as well as the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI Act) as in order to comply with the standards of our European and South African clients, candidates and stakeholders, and also to provide additional protection to our Australian, American and other clients worldwide.
Both the Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) aims to harmonise data protection legislation, enhancing privacy rights for individuals and providing a strict framework within which commercial organisations can legally operate.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
The data controller is
Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment - 64 Michelle Avenue Randhart - Alberton JHB
Who we are and what we do?
We are a recruitment agency and recruitment business with a focus on Generalist, Professional staffing fields. We collect the personal data of the following types of people to allow us to undertake our business.
- Prospective and placed candidates for permanent or temporary roles.
- Prospective and live client contacts.
- Supplier contacts to support our services.
- Employees, consultants, temporary workers.
We collect information about you solely for the purposes of carrying out our core business and ancillary activities.
What data we collect from you
Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment collects Personal Data directly from you (via email, website forms, phone, and email or otherwise) as well as from other available sources to the extent relevant and permitted under the GDPR and POPI legislation. Subject to this applicable law we may collect the following information:
- Name and job title
- Contact information including phone number and email address
- Links to your professional profiles available in the public domain e.g LinkedIn and/or corporate website
- Your competences, skills, experience, and education, e.g., your CV or resume, previous employments, educational details and qualifications, third party references
- Your preferences, e.g., preferred country of employment, areas of interest as well as your preferred ways to be contacted by Hill Appointments CC
- Other information relevant to roles and relevant industry news
- Other information, such as information found from public sources as well as information depending on the position you are applying for, and where necessary for the recruitment activities. This will only be in the case of legitimate interest (please see our Legitimate Business Interests below)
We will only collect sensitive personal data about you when necessary for the recruitment process. We will only process this data if you have given your consent for us to do so.
Our Legitimate Business Interests
Our legitimate interests in collecting and retaining your personal data are described below:
- As a recruitment business and recruitment agency we introduce candidates to clients for permanent employment, temporary worker placements or independent professional contracts. The exchange of personal data of our candidates and our client contacts is a fundamental, essential part of this process.
- To support our candidates’ career aspirations and our clients’ resourcing needs we require a database of candidate and client personal data containing historical information as well as current resourcing requirements.
- To maintain, expand and develop our business we need to record the personal data of prospective candidates and client contacts. Due to the nature of our business, we will never store your personal data for a period longer than 6 years without having meaningful contact with you in this time. If you have not received any meaningful contact from us in 6 years or more your personal information will be deleted from our systems. “Meaningful contact” means, for example, any form of contact between us in relation to the Company assisting/providing recruitment services to you.
When you access our services online, our web servers automatically create records of your visit. These records typically include IP-address, access times, the sites linked from, pages visited, the links and features used, the content viewed or requested, browser or application type, language, and other such information. When you use our services or otherwise interact with us over telecommunications networks, certain additional information, such as your mobile telephone number, may be transmitted to Hill Appointments by the telecommunications operator as a standard part of that communication.
Purposes of the processing and the legal basis for the processing
Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment will collect, use, store and otherwise process your Personal Data for the purposes of Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment or resourcing activities. Additionally, your personal data may be processed for other purposes such as relevant information we think will be of legitimate interest to you. We may also use your personal data to carry out our obligations we have entered between you and us.
Our legal basis for the processing of personal data is our legitimate business interests, described in more detail below, although we will also rely on contract, legal obligation, and consent for specific uses of data.
We will rely on legal obligation if we are legally required to hold information on to you to fulfill our legal obligations.
We will in some circumstances rely on consent for uses of your data and you will be asked for your express consent, if legally required. Examples of when consent may be the lawful basis for processing include permission to introduce you to a client (if you are a candidate) or if we need to process ‘special categories’ of personal information.
Should we want, need, or rely on consent to lawfully process your data we will request your consent orally, by email, or by an online process for the specific activity that we require consent for and record your response on our system. Whenever necessary and subject to statutory record-keeping requirements, Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment will delete and/or anonymise Personal Data that is no longer needed. If there has not been any recent activity between yourself and Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment, we may delete your profile after a reasonable time.
In further detail, Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment will process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
Communicating with you, in context of recruitment activities, such as:
- To obtain additional information where necessary.
- To inform you of available vacancies and relevant industry news.
- To provide you with information relating to your application and to fulfill your requests.
Managing recruitment and resourcing activities, including activities related to organisational planning. During recruitment activities, we may use your information:
- To set up and conduct interviews and assessments.
- To evaluate, select and recruit applicants.
- To conduct background and credit checks and assessments as required or permitted by applicable local law.
- To contact third party references provided by you to evaluate your previous performances.
- Or as otherwise necessary in context of recruitment activities.
Development of services
We may use your Personal Data to develop and improve our recruitment processes, websites, and other related services. Where feasible, we use aggregated anonymous information in context of the development activities.
Legal and regulatory compliance, including obtaining and releasing Personal Data as required by law, judicial organizations, or practice to comply with legal obligations imposed on us.
Transfer of your Personal Data
Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment will not sell, lease, rent or otherwise disclose your Personal Data unless you have given explicit consent. Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment may share your Personal Data if you have given your informed consent for Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment to do so.
We do not undertake automated decision making or profiling. We do however use our systems to search and identify personal data in accordance with the parameters set by a person. A person will always be involved in the decision-making process
Security and controlling your personal information
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure although unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We take reasonable steps to keep the personal data we possess accurate and to delete incorrect or unnecessary personal data. With respect to the processing of your Personal Data, you will always have the rights as provided by applicable local law. In addition, this policy provides you the right to know what personal data we hold about you; to request incomplete, incorrect, unnecessary, or outdated personal data deleted or updated as well as to object to Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment processing of your Personal Data on compelling legitimate grounds. There may be certain categories of information prescribed by applicable local law that Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment may lawfully withhold.
We will not sell, distribute, or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about roles and market information which we think you may find interesting if you consent for Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment to do so.
Retention of your data
We understand our legal duty to retain accurate data and only retain personal data for as long as we need it for our legitimate business interests and that you are happy for us to do so. Accordingly, we will re-assess our ‘Legitimate Interests Needs Balancing Act’ on a yearly basis and run data routines to remove data that we no longer have a legitimate business interest in maintaining.
We segregate our data so that we keep diverse types of data for different time periods. The criteria we use to determine whether we should retain your personal data includes:
- the nature of the personal data.
- its perceived accuracy.
- our legal obligations.
- whether an interview or placement has been arranged; and
- our recruitment expertise and knowledge of the industry by country, sector, and job role.
We may archive part or all your personal data or retain it on our financial systems only, deleting all or part of it from our main Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) system. We may pseudonymise parts of your data, particularly following a request for suppression or deletion of your data, to ensure that we do not re-enter your personal data on to our database, unless requested to do so.
You acknowledge that Hill Appointments will collect information (including personal and sensitive information) about me for the primary purpose of employment, including consideration of my employment application in the recruitment process. If you are not prepared to provide this information, we may be limited in our ability to assist you with employment.
2. I agree that the email address supplied on my application will be my primary point of contact for all electronic communication unless I advise otherwise.
3. I consent to Hill Appointments disclosing my personal information (with my acknowledgement) by sending my resume to clients for prospective employment opportunities.
4. I consent to both Hill Appointments and its clients (i.e. potential employers) checking any references with my acknowledgement in relation to my employment application. All references are strictly confidential and only available to those directly involved in the selection process.
5. I consent to Hill Appointments verifying my qualifications with all relevant educational institutions.
6. I consent to undertaking a health assessment relevant to my employment application if required. 7. I confirm I am entitled to work in South Africa and consent to provide Hill Appointments with legal documentation; for example, proof of entitlement to work in South Africa.
8. I consent to undertaking a security check relevant to my employment application with relevant law enforcement agencies if required.
9. I consent to all the information described above being maintained in Hill Appointments records for employment purposes (including potential future positions) and that the email address I provide will be used for all correspondence from Hill Appointments.
10. I consent to all the information described above, including the results of any testing, including competency or psychometric assessments, being disclosed to Hill Appointments clients (i.e. potential employers) for consideration in the recruitment process.
11. I warrant that I have disclosed all relevant information and documentation to Hill Appointments and that the information I have provided to Hill Appointments is correct in all respects. I understand that should the information be incorrect or pertinent information withheld, I will be liable to have my application dismissed or, if subsequently employed, to be dismissed from employment.
12.Refrain from contacting our client(s) directly without permission and/or soliciting employment directly after introduction in accordance with the Popi Act.
13. Keep our client(s) information secret and only disclose it in the manner and to the extent expressly permitted under the agreement.
14. Use our client's information solely for the purpose of performing its obligations and exercising its rights under the agreement.
15. Only make such copies, summaries, extracts, transcripts, notes, reports, analyses, and recordings (in any form of media) that use, contain, or are based on (or derived from) the client information as is necessary to perform its obligations and exercise its rights under the agreement.
16. Keep our client information safe and secure and apply to it documentary and electronic security measures that match or exceed those that First Choice CC operates, and never exercise less than reasonable care.
17. Treat all personal information as confidential.
18. Only process personal information on First Choice CC's / Hill Appointments documented instructions, and only to the extent required to perform its obligations under the agreement.
19. Not disclose personal information, except as directed by First Choice CC/Hill Appointments in writing or as required by law; and implement appropriate technical and organisational measures, at all locations from which the outsource/placement services will be provided, to ensure that the level of security is appropriate to the risks to the personal information in terms of applicable data protection laws. Details of the technical and organisational measures, and service locations, can be provided on request.
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- If you have previously agreed to
Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment
using and or storing your personal information you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at:
- [email protected]
- Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment - 64 Michelle Avenue, Randhart Alberton - Johannesburg - South Africa
Under the GDPR/POPI act and Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment policies and procedures you have the right to:
Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party in certain formats, if practicable.
The Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act and the GDPR give you the right to access information held about you. We also encourage you to contact us to ensure your data is accurate and complete.
If you believe that any information, we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Hill Appointments Staff Recruitment may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from January 2021