About the job Major Gift Officer
About the role
The Illinois Policy Institute is seeking a major gifts officer to expand its financial support. The major gifts officer should be deeply interested in public policy at the national, state and local levels plus want to help the institute raise financial resources. This role is ideal for someone who is keenly analytical and able to maintain and build new relationships that advance the institute's mission.
Applicants should thrive in entrepreneurial, creative and fast-paced environments. The major gifts officer is required to be a speaker, thinker and writer who can articulate the value of the Illinois Policy Institute's projects and goals to audiences of sophisticated, policy-savvy supporters.
The major gifts officer must live or be willing to relocate to Illinois. The major gifts officer will travel up to 40% of the time for donor meetings.
Include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing a portfolio of current donors, ensuring continuity, growing relationships and handling proposal submissions toward the goal of deepening their investment in the institute.
- Actively research, cultivate and secure new gifts from prospective major donors in Illinois and across America
Qualifications and requirements
- A minimum of three years of experience in frontline fundraising.
- At least three years of experience within the liberty movement at an organization with an annual revenue of $3 million or more.
- A bachelor's degree.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate complex ideas to high-level stakeholders in a persuasive manner.
- Outstanding skills in public speaking, presentation and writing.
- Capacity to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Superior verbal communication abilities, both face-to-face and in remote settings.
- Knowledge of state policy priorities and familiarity with the Illinois Policy Institute's mission, coupled with a strong desire to contribute to and grow the institute's initiatives.
- Readiness to travel up to 40% of the time for donor engagement and meetings.
Range of $80,000 to $120,000 base salary, [commensurate with experience. Performance-based annual bonus on top of base salary. Compensation package includes health (medical and dental plans with employer-paid share), 401(k), flexible spending benefits, and vacation and sick days.
The major gifts officer will work in our Chicago office. The Illinois Policy Institute has a hybrid work policy under which employees can work from home up to three days each week.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials:
- Cover letter detailing:
- Your interest in this position
- Why the mission of the Illinois Policy Institute resonates with you
- Your salary requirements
- Writing sample