About the job BI Technical Lead
A BI Technical Lead is an IT specialist with advanced analytical and technical skills who understands the data structures and various data sources, has the ability to orchestrate delivery with a complex series of stakeholders and is able to conceptualise solutions built on a hybrid of technologies with no real scope at the get go, i.e. create, navigate and negotiate the scope on the fly.
- Design, document and communicate technical solutions that deliver on business requirements
- Fulfil the role of subject matter expert on all technical aspects of BI products
- Oversee all BI development / modelling activity incl. code reviews, issue resolution and general support
- Develop technical standards and best practices
- Identify opportunities to enhance and automate technical processes and solutions across BI projects and support operations
- Support developers / modellers to develop data and analytical models
- Form relationships and orchestrate delivery with key technical stakeholders across our business including architects
- Engage with technology vendors and external technical experts when conceptualising, designing or implementing technical solutions
- Attend and present solutions at internal architecture forums
- Designing (and assisting with design) of architecture used by specialists in solutions.
- Constant refinement to standardize and implement new functionality based on experience and lessons learnt
- Designing and building reusable artefacts to improve speed of delivery and reliability of solutions
- Identifying performance enhancements for BI and Integration solutions
- Troubleshoot technical issues such as database non-performance, integration failures and code failures.
- Resolve critical data modelling issues impacting the functionality of BI products in production.
- 5+ years of relevant experience (developer / modeler experience) in the BI environment
- Diploma/Degree in Information Technology
- TOGAF certification will be advantageous.
Technical Knowledge and Experience:
- Technical expert with a strong understanding of data, data structures and data sources.
Understanding of SDLC, Code management / standards / re use and API integration
Ability to do cost estimations for new workloads
Experience working or modelling in SAP Hana
Data warehousing principles based on Kimball and Data Vault patterns
- Development experience in BI
- Knowledge and experience of structured data, such as entities, classes, hierarchies, relationships and metadata.
- Knowledge of database management system (DBMS) physical implementation, including tables, joins and SQL querying.
- Ability to combine data from multiple sources when needed for the analysis.
- Familiarity with the use cases, business purposes and quality of the data.
Knowledge of technical toolsets to perform all duties such as (but not limited to):
- DataStage and or other ETL / DI tools
- DB2 and or other RDBS’s
- SAP Hana (DB)
- SAP Data Services
- Cloudera / Hadoop
- Cloud deployments and integration (esp AWS)
- Database viewing tools
- Scripting languages, esp Python, Java
- Report generation toolsKnowledge of BI processes and methodologies such as:
- Agile development
- Solid background in SQL, application and information architecture and ETL procedures
- Data integration
- Data modelling/Application modelling (Modelling in SAP HANA)
- Data analysis, visualization and reporting
- SDLC, release management and project management
- API integration