About the job National Sales Manager
National Sales Manager – East Rand, Johannesburg (Food Retail industry)
Starting date: January 2022
Our client, an international manufacturer, exporter and supplier in the food industry is looking for a National Sales Manager to join the team and help in this exciting development across the retail & wholesale sectors. The company is renowned for a range of market-leading products with strong brands and has ambitious plans for further significant development in the South African market.
The National Sales Manager oversees the national sales, distribution, and customer service agenda for the company in South and Southern Africa. This role is to build and maintain a high-performance sales organization to effectively achieve business objectives.
The National Sales Manager is expected to be committed to the company mission of maximizing impact and growing market prominence and market share within the markets we operate in.
This is a very important role in driving the company mission and goals, overseeing the activities of the Regional Sales Managers, their agents, and ensuring that the brand becomes well-known and recognized by consumers and shoppers, within the country and region.
The National Sales Manager may also deputize for the Country Business Director when necessary.
• Create and implement effective direct sales strategies and lead nationwide Regional Sales Managers and agents toward the achievement of corporate sales objectives.
• Develop and revise competencies and processes required to create an effective and efficient sales organization.
• Provide leadership through effective communication of vision, active coaching, and development whilst matching sales results to goals and taking appropriate action to address this when necessary.
• Manage sales management, budget control, compensation programs, and incentives.
• Ensure effective hiring, orientation, training, development, and retention of sales personnel.
• Act as an Ambassador to engage with trade key decision-makers, business owners, and buyers to promote products.
• Assist sales managers and sales agents with organizational skills, account strategies, territory planning, and administrative responsibilities to ensure a high level of trade customer satisfaction is maintained to ultimately achieve the highest possible business outcome in the trade for the company.
• Continually develop business relationships with trade Buyers, trade ops managers, and trade regional managers for the optimal benefit for business using knowledge and relationships within the respective territories.
• Keep abreast of trends in the market and activities in the sector, being aware of competitor activities to remain ahead of the curve.
• Network with various stakeholders within FMCG and our market.
• Act as mentor and coach to support the sales team.
Skills and Experience:
• Proven business development team and account management experience in the FMCG sector.
• Previous experience in food FMCG (Hot beverage coffee, tea, and instant products categories
• Minimum 5 years sector experience.
• Strong communication and team management skills.
• Experience with at least one of the big accounts in RSA (Shoprite, Spar, PNP, Woolworths).
• Pro-active, self-motivated, with a strong ability to work on own initiative.
• Excellent presentation and analytical skills.