About the job Principal (Head of School)
Our client is a special needs school based in Accra and formed to provide academic and vocational education to Persons with Intellectual Disability.
They are looking to appoint an enthusiastic, motivated and dedicated Head of School to lead the superb leadership team with a start date June 20th, 2021.
The Principal works alongside the Board, Executive Director, and Senior Teachers to drive the School’s vision and mission and align them with all School endeavours.
The Principal reports directly to the Executive Director and to the NHSS Board of Director.
▪ Represent the School with clients/parents, regulators, suppliers, investors, and partners as and when required.
▪ Ensure the Executive Director and Board are consistently kept up-to-date with developments in the School operations.
▪ Identify opportunities in industry developments, assessing the competitive landscape in Ghana and Africa, and makes recommendations for remaining competitive, taking into account the unique non-profit nature of the School.
▪ Support the Board of Directors in developing and executing strategic initiatives that support the vision of the School.
▪ Oversee the Admissions process
▪ Oversee, supervise, and implement internal and external Community Projects for students
▪ Oversee, supervise and implement Volunteer/Intern placement and integration
▪ Establish the School master schedule, ensuring sequential learning experiences for students, regular assessments,
▪ Develop and implement the curriculum, as well as initiatives and programs that secure improved teaching and learning outcomes
▪ Maintain a continuous assessment of curriculum development across the School, constantly upgrading the quality and effectiveness program
▪ Introduce and encourage the use of current initiatives
Standards and Development
▪ Develop, monitor and evaluate the role and responsibilities of the teachers
▪ Develop assessment and moderation systems to train and support teachers in their assessment for and of learning
▪ Present sustainable Development Planning strategies, identifying School needs, and reporting on approved initiatives from the Development Plan
▪ Maintain a chart of the learning needs of all staff in the School and their impact on standards, and proposing strategies to meet these needs and ultimately secure whole School improvement
▪ Ensure all staff contribute to effective School evaluation and improvement processes
IT and Data Collection
▪ Introduce and use current tools and technology for data collection and analysis of teaching outcomes, and of performance data to raise teaching standards and outcomes.
▪ Introduce and use technologies to support teaching and learning in the classroom and in vocational.
▪ Supervise and oversee inventory systems for School materials and equipment, and confidential students medical and evaluation records.
▪ Oversee filing of all required reports regarding violence, vandalism, attendance and discipline matters, ensuring that students, staff, and parents comply with all national laws, as well as School board policies.
▪ Assist with fundraising efforts of the School's charity Foundation
▪ Assist the Finance Office in preparation of budgets for grant proposals
▪ Liaise with key personnel and our partners on fundraising initiatives
▪ Play a leadership role in developing and nurturing relationships with institutional or private major donors
▪ Be available to introduce campaigns and major gift initiatives to the Public
▪ Review budget requests and approve employee purchases for School supplies
▪ Plan, monitor, and/or implement income/expenditure trends
▪ Ensure department managers operate within budget constraints
▪ Ensure department managers meet submission deadlines
▪ Anticipate future budget trends
▪ Suggest spending improvements to minimize costs where necessary
▪ Support the Finance Office in ensuring that School-fees are paid in a timely and regulated manner.
▪ In conjunction with the Finance Office, present the Annual Budget to the Board for review
▪ Notify immediately the Board, and personnel and agencies when there is evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical or social conditions, potential suicide or students appearing to be under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
▪ Ensure all responsibilities and accountabilities are understood and acted on by the senior educators
▪ Supervise the exclusion from School of any pupil, staff or teacher who shows departure from normal health, who has been exposed to a communicable disease, or whose presence may be detrimental to the health and cleanliness of other pupils.
▪ Monitor staff compliance with all School regulations, make appropriate reports to the Board, and implement Board decisions for disciplinary procedures or removal as needed.
▪ Essential Qualifications
▪ Bachelor’s degree;
▪ Five years practical teaching experience in education
▪ Five years administrative experience in Special Needs Education or similar, at a senior level;
▪ Proven ability to create and maintain a strong commitment to a Special Needs Curriculum
▪ Good written reporting and IT skills
▪ Master’s Degree in Education, or related field,
▪ Professional Development Training
▪ Ability to lead and to build teams; including line management and remote management;
▪ Experience and knowledge of fundraising, public relations and communication
▪ Prior experience of writing fund raising proposals and working with donor organizations to secure funds
▪ Evidence of well-developed planning skills
▪ Strong IT skills