About the job Senior Project Designer
The client is a fantastic UK based organisation that uses interactive media and digital communications to spark engaging conversations.
They have built a prototype of a tool to engage conversations with citizens and decision makers across Africa.
The pilot of the project is to commence in Ghana and they seek and exceptional service design specialist highly experienced in client-focused service design in the B2B technology space, well-grounded in the Ghanaian communications and SME context, and with a passion for delivering transformative change for Africa’s Youth, to co-lead a 12 month first phase project in Ghana.
Objective 1 – Systematising youth engagement: To transform the tool prototype into a socio-technical solution that enables a large-scale conversation with youth that we can be sure is plural and inclusive of youth voice.
Objective 2 – Delivering programmatic transformation: To devise workflows for embedding the tool in the programming of a Foundation partner or programme that enables uptake of insights from youth engagement into decision-making.
Objective 3 – Technically and Operationally preparing for scale – To prepare the tool for continental scale in terms of technology, operational work models, and organisational strategy.
The ambition is that a successful first phase Deep Dive in Ghana will lay foundations for expanded roll-out in Ghana and then beyond.
Senior Project Designer (Ghana)
As the Senior Service Designer, you will:
- Lead on innovative client-facing technology service design research in Ghana, with selected partners, to identify priority opportunities for Organisation’s novel capabilities to deliver transformative value in strengthening relationships with youth and amplifying their voice and agency in Young Africa Works programming.
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Senior Software Engineer Project Co-Lead to ensure successful implementation of the service design research into the technology platform
- Lead on devising operational workflows for embedding the tool in the work of the Foundation and Foundation partners that enables uptake of insights from youth engagement into decision-making.
- Lead on the development of operational models for Organisation’s deployment across multiple partners and projects, learning closely from the pilot.
- Lead on designing, delivering and analysing stakeholder evaluations of Organisation pilots, including with youth, the Foundation and Foundation partners.
- Contribute substantially to developing an organizational strategy for deploying Organisation, that considers how the Foundation, Foundation partners and Organisation might best relate and interact around the platform.
- Contribute substantially to the longer-term wider partnership strategy for achieving the continent-wide vision for the tool and Organisation
- Build deep partnerships with Mastercard Foundation to explore the wider potential for Organisation to empower their work.
- Reflect on learnings with the wider Organisation team, especially with your Software Engineering counterpart, to help guide the future of Organisation
As the Project Co-Lead, you will:
- Lead on client liaison with its partners
- Manage third-party relationships in Ghana, including with sub-contracted media and communications providers and/or youth organisations.
- Manage all operational aspects of the project, including finances and administration (supported by the Business Operations team)
- Be responsible for all project reporting requirements
- Source and manage any procurement (ggregator providers, media, partner youth organisations) required by the project
- Be responsible for the project workplan and coordination of delivery
- Maintain active and regular communications with the wider project team at Organisation/Lark Systems
- Coordinate and deliver external relations and communications (to public, to donor, to partners)
- Provide critical reflection and evaluation of the progress on the project.
Experience and Qualifications
- Experience leading service design and project implementation in areas such as customer/civic/youth engagement, employment and training, organisational communication, feedback/monitoring/evaluation.
- Experience with human-centric design methodologies (e.g. User Centered Design, Participatory Design, Service Design)
- Ability to be strategic, creative and proactive in project design and collaborating with technical teams including understanding new terminology and concepts easily
- Experience of successfully negotiating important design decisions
- Experience in engaging whole organisation teams with the design process.
Project leadership and general skills
- Proven success in leading design/test/deploy projects serving organisations, ideally with information/communication technology components
- Proven success in bringing adaptive, responsive and strategic leadership to client projects
- Excellent communication in a distributed team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
with organisation/project communications platforms such as Slack and cloud
based data/document production and storage tools such as Google Drive in
- Substantial experience working in service design roles in Ghana, with relevant comparable organizations (social enterprise, SME, fintech, youth employment and training, development).
- Substantial knowledge and understanding of the Ghanaian information, communications, media and technology environments