About the job Proofreader
As a proofreader you'll ensure that material is clear, consistent, complete and credible, and that text is well written, grammatically correct and accessible. You'll take the initial material, or the copy and make it ready for publication.
You'll work on a range of printed and electronic resources and be required to correct spelling, grammar and layout (proofreading), check content, impose consistent styles and reword or rewrite copy-editing commonly for several clients depending on the project and client and not limited to performing both functions.
Here’s what you’ll bring to the table:
You'll need to show evidence of the following:
- Media or electronic media publishing or publishing studies.
- Demonstrate an aptitude for the work or some highly relevant experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the English language (or the language the publication is written in)
- Methodical working style.
- Concentration, accuracy and great attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask.
- Tact and diplomacy for negotiating changes.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Due to the nature of the business, be able to work overtime.
Here’s what you’ll be doing to lead Agency and Client growth.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Proof check all material before going to print or any other media
- Correcting spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
- Liaising regularly with client service
- Checking that all the required material and paperwork are available.
- Resolving queries e.g. style and text inconsistencies.
- Ensuring that products are correctly captioned and referred to in the text.
- Producing or working to a style checklist to ensure consistency in hyphenation, capitalization, formatting of references, etc.
- Maintaining awareness of new words or phrases coming into popular usage with a view to ensuring they're appropriate for the readership.