About the job Operations Director
JOB DESCRIPTION & SUMMARY
The Operations Director is the lead operations role within Ogilvy that demands a strategic leader who has achieved trusted advisor status with C-Suite clients, agency leaders, and has a proven track record of delivering, modern, multi-channel creative work.
Partnering with the Managing Director and broader Agency MANCO they help achieve margin targets through a combination of executional prowess and commercial competency.
The Operations Director oversees the flawless execution of all client deliverables across the agency. This includes resource management and creative and technical development of multi-channel, multi-experience, dynamic campaigns as well as streamlined, fast-track and project-based work. Must be capable of intervening in high-risk situations to triage, remediate and arbitrate.
This individual provides leadership to the operations teams within the agency and sets team direction to ensure executional excellence. The candidate must have a track record of maintaining strong relationships with creative, account management, strategy and delivery leadership. Partners with operational and commercial leadership assigned to key accounts.
Provides oversight of all resource allocation against client deliverables, provides guidance and direction on SOW development and tracking, client and internal performance metrics reporting for the Group. Ultimately determines who does what and where. Must be able to rally internal and external constituencies as needed.
Must be grounded in a deep understanding of client business needs, and requires heavy interface with creative, strategy and production teams.
- The Operations Director is responsible for leading, coordinating and managing the PMO, Broadcast and Production teams in Ogilvy Cape Town.
- The Operations Director role involves extensive collaboration with Account Management, Planning, Creative, Studio and Digital personnel to assure the execution and timely delivery of all projects.
- He/she is constantly scheduling, initiating, executing, monitoring, controlling, facilitating and estimating. Able to multitask a wide range of things with desire to break the mould of traditional approaches.
- Results-focused with a tenacious approach to delivery, quality of output and organization are key to this role as is the ability to work calmly, efficiently and professionally under pressure.
- Be the point of contact for integrated projects requiring digital input
- Direct line management for Head of PMO, Head of Broadcast, Head of Print and Head of Art Buying
- Team mentorship and growth.
- Escalation point for all resourcing and operational issues
- Ongoing collaboration with the Heads of Departments to identify ways of improving processes, examining existing team structures against Client needs identifying areas for improvement within the delivery process going forward.
- Work towards tighter integration between the Ogilvy Cape Town group.
- Develop and maintain resource plans against forecasts and activity calendars.
- Work closely with the Client Service team to ensure project management and client service are aligned and operate as an efficient team
- Review proposals, project costs, SOW’s and Change Management.
- Ensures pre-briefs, daily status meetings, internal & external reporting tools (incl. Agency status report, contact reports and client estimates), and weekly financial updates are maintained.
- Runs weekly workflow status sessions with the operations team.
- Consistently aware of the financial status of any Client project in the Agency, highlighting budget issues with the Client Services Team as they arise.
- Ensures that all necessary project documentation is in place.
- Produces and instigates daily workflow status sessions with the Account Management team.
- Interrogate Post Project Reviews and work with the Team to implement practices to learn from previous issues
- Strong commercial acumen and entrepreneurial mentality.
- Consistently monitors the financial status of any Client projects in the Agency, highlighting budget issues with the Account Management Team as they arise.
- Has full command of financial practice, hourly rates and policy.
- Ensures all costs over and above the financial scope identified at the outset of the project are clearly identified and approved before progressing further work on the project.
- Able to make timely and sound decisions regarding complex issues while managing costs across more than one project.
- Able to recognise when an idea has potential to work.
- Can evaluate whether ideas are in accordance with brief.
- Innovative in thinking – looks beyond the obvious to develop highly creative and impactful solutions for the client.
PERSONAL SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
Elevates any internal issues likely to compromise the Client’s perception of the Agency and finds ways to address these.
- Facilitates teamwork across client and agency teams.
- Manages conflict effectively to ensure resolution is reached with minimum disruption to workflow; negotiates win-win solutions.
- Works effectively through job and organizational changes.
- Deals constructively with frustration and stress, maintaining a professional and positive manner.
- Acts as a steersman for the team and strives to achieve excellence in everything they do.
- Result focused – understands what is important and is committed to achieving goals.
- Builds a can-do attitude inside the agency;
- Recognizes the value and responsibility of teamwork.
- Uses knowledge of individuals’ strengths to ensure effective teamwork.
- Good humored, positive, motivating but assertive in doing so.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Strong communicator. Is able to provide high levels of motivation and listening skills.
- Able to relate to all levels of both the client and agency organizations.
- Ensures effective and regular communication between project team members.
- Presents information and ideas in an articulate, convincing and clear manner.
- Able to write and deliver formal presentations.
- Active listening skills that can be used to manage the client relationship.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
Effective verbal communication for business purposes.
- 8- 10 years project management/ delivery/ operations experience in a similar role within an integrated agency model.
- Alternately, experience in product ownership/ delivery
- Proven knowledge and significant track record of managing teams
- A track record for connecting to and delivering against client business objectives.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Experience with forecasting, resourcing, process development and workflow creation