About the job Chief Creative Officer
We are looking for a Chief Creative Officer to lead and successfully drive our new business and growth ambitions. The Chief Creative Officer will develop, lead and drive the execution of the Creative vision and our Creative offering to our clients. S/he will also act as a Creative voice in both the local and global business and Creative Industry. S/he will be a magnet for great Creative Talent and be a custodian of developing and retaining great talent within the group. This will also include ensuring that the Creative community has the optimal diversity mix of skill/craft and background to produce innovative and relevant work for our client’s – enabling their growth. The Chief Creative Officer will be Johannesburg based and will play an industry and client facing role. In partnership with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Client Officer, Chief Strategy Officer and Managing Directors (MDs), s/he will be responsible for the retention and growth of scope in our top clients and the acquisition of new business/clients by ensuring effective and innovative pitching approaches. The Chief Creative Officer will play a significant role in the continued Digital Transformation of Ogilvy South Africa as a Modern Marketing Leader, through new business and support initiatives to build modern marketing capabilities.
ABOUT THE BUSINESS
Ogilvy has a distinctive positioning and proposition in the market. A proposition that is key for current times, when clients desire a partner to help them realize their growth ambitions or to get back to growth. Simply put, our ambition is to be “The Best Platform and Partner for Growth on the Planet.”
This is a proposition that is anchored on true shared value: human (societal) value; employee value as well as commercial value. This proposition cuts across our key mega-businesses of Customer Experience (digital); Public Relations; Modern Advertising Communications and Health.
We believe in the power of Giant Ideas to deliver Giant Value on our clients’ brands and businesses, on the work we produce; the people we attract and nurture, as well as the businesses we are building. We know that brands live in a highly volatile environment; digital access and capability can facilitate great growth, society has faced erosion on multiple fronts and economies have become even more fragile. As a modern marketing business we are looking to partner our clients in their digital, brand and business transformation journey, such that they can realize the giant impact they need in their commercial, human and social ambitions – these often come as a result of a commitment to giant ideas that drive giant value.
Ogilvy South Africa is one of, if not, the largest agency within South Africa. Ogilvy South Africa falls under the EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) region within Ogilvy Worldwide and it is the second largest business within EMEA, and the highest profit margin contributor of the EMEA’s large companies. The agency services many longstanding local and international clients such as KFC (Yum), VW, AB InBev, Dischem, PEP, BAT, Cashbuild, Multichoice, Nestle, Tiger Brands, Unilever and many more.
Ogilvy South Africa is committed to Transformation and is certified as a level 1 BBBEE contributor and is 51% Black owned. It counts an approximate staff complement of 650 members across 3 campuses: Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban.
WE RELY ON YOU TO
Drive and own the Growth Plan to be the best platform and partner for growth on the planet and our ambition of becoming the ‘MOST CREATIVE & EFFECTIVE’ network in SA and in Ogilvy Worldwide
Be the People & Talent Magnet, Inspiration and Champion
- Inspirational leadership and development of Executive Creative Directors (ECDs) and Creative teams;
- Talent retention, best-in-class talent acquisition (Build and maintain an ‘employer of choice’ market position for Creative talent)
- Drive our Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (ED&I) and Employment Equity (EE) transformation ambitions achieving both the spirit of the transformation and diversity targets
- Driving a fit-for-purpose creative culture (strategic creative that contributes to client growth, curiosity, authenticity, talkability and consumer and market relevance)
- Lead the development of modern marketing skills in the Creative function and more broadly across the group
Be a credible Client Whisperer and develop meaningful Client relationships to push for innovative and great work that achieves brand’s and client’s ambitions
- Build and maintain Client intimacy with identified top 15 clients
- Partner and influence clients to improve the work in alignment with their business objectives
Bring both Fame and Fortune to Ogilvy, clients’ Brands and Clients
- Be a local market and global creative thought leader, positioning Ogilvy as the best platform and partner for growth on the planet
- Actively participate and leverage Ogilvy’s global Creative community to achieve creative innovation for our clients, as well as to achieve the growth and mobility of our local creative talent
- Play an active role in the development and execution of the Ogilvy Brand’s marketing strategy
- Shaping, defining and driving the achievement of the group’s Awards Strategy
Drive business development & leadership
- Contribute to the Group’s strategic objectives (in addition to the Creative function), through translating and leading the execution of our global growth pillars
- Partner business leaders in the generation of new business and by providing creative leadership on identified high-value pitches
- Transforming our creative community across the group in line with our ‘modern marketing’ objective.
- Modernise creative in our retail offering and achieve improved delivery and commercial efficiencies through digital automation
YOU ARE GREAT AT
- Creating distinctive and differentiated strategy at an Executive level
- Successfully running large teams
- Being a good listener whilst also being a bold decision maker who can deliver clarity of thought to others
- Driving and helping teams deliver amazing work
- Growing people around you
- Creating thought leadership for internal and external distribution with contagious enthusiasm
- Building relationships at a C-Suit and senior client level
- Navigating a complex matrix with strong diplomacy and political acumen and with the ability to effectively deal with ambiguity
- Influencing others through delivering impactful presentations and storytelling
- Leading, inspiring and motivating others, and building strong cross-office teams
- Influencing and selling
- Having a good laugh – yes you need a good sense of humor and to be an effective leader at Ogilvy
- Working with people at all levels
- Innovation – with an insatiable curiosity, a drive for relentless improvement, a fresh set of ideas
- Learning from and admitting your mistakes and bouncing-back to the benefit of those around you
- Navigating difficult client and agency situations
- Having delivered a track record and portfolio of modern marketing work
- Having produced a portfolio of work that delivers on the growth agenda of clients