About the job Plant Operator
1.1 Job Summary
Under the direct supervision of the Shift Supervisor and general supervision of the Plant Operations Manager, the Plant Operator is responsible for specific activities in the safe and environmentally sound operation of overhead cranes on the tipping floor/pit to lift, move, mix municipal solid waste (MSW) and construction and demolition waste, using hoisting attachments such as a grapple or auxiliary hoist mechanism such as hook or sling; with the intent of feeding fuel, MSW, to one of four boilers, mixing the fuel in the refuse pit to achieve a more homogeneous fuel for boiler operations, and moving various loads to and from the charging deck. Assist the Control Room Operators in the daily operation of the plant in the field and makes regular plant inspections.
1.2 Job Responsibilities
- Performs frequent field rounds during shift to assess the plant equipment and report any abnormal situation
- Performs daily routine inspections of assigned overhead crane(s) and fills out necessary log sheets according to procedures
- Performs troubleshooting on overhead cranes and reports all malfunctioning equipment/component through the issuance of work orders
- Performs checks as required by the daily/weekly activities book, the monthly critical items check list etc.
- Manipulates or depresses crane controls such as pedals, levers or buttons to regulate speed and direction of the crane and hoist movement according to written, verbal or signal instructions
- Assists the CRO in the daily operation of the plant in the field and makes regular plant inspections
- Performs lockout and tagout of equipment in support of maintenance activities.
- Maintains cleanliness of equipment and an orderly work area around crane and hoist
- Notifies Shift Supervisor of defective operating or material conditions raise the defect in the CMMS system to the relevant department
- Performs additional tasks as directed by the Shift Supervisor, or his or her designee.
- Safely and efficiently shuts down and restarts production, safety and utilities plant when required, in accordance with plant operating procedures and parameters
- Attend HSE Inspections, audits, assessments, and meetings
- Conduct Risk identification/analysis/assessments
- Liaises closely with the maintenance team on the delivery of planned and unplanned maintenance activities
- Reports promptly any breaches of HSE procedures to supervision / management
- Actively participates in and promotes company health, safety and environmental campaigns, initiatives, policies and procedures, and ensures personal safety and that of colleagues at all times
- Provides support as part of the installation emergency response team
- Manage all plant operation and emission data and maintain safety and efficiency in plant and provide training to all subordinates
The above job duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature of the work and are not intended to be an inclusive list of all responsibilities. Duties and responsibilities may change or vary depending on the specific needs of the operations.
1.3 Educational / Professional Qualifications / Training Certifications
- High school diploma or GED
- HSE accredited training qualifications
1.4 Job Experience
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant industry experience or equivalent work experience
- Must have successfully completed all demonstrations in the current Crane Operators Job Skill
- Familiar with HSE standards, procedures and requirements and control plant operations in a safe and efficient manner
- Demonstration manual and have passed an oral and written examination
- Previous experience in the operation and maintenance of overhead cranes will be allowed a one-month period for completion of the job demonstration manual
1.5 Core Competencies
- Safety Focus: Complies with all the health and safety regulations, safely performs work, and organizes its workspace to minimize the likelihood of an accident or other unsafe situation.
- Technical Expertise: Practical knowledge of processes and practices in own functional area.
- Accountability: Shows up to work on time, and follows instructions, policies, and procedures. Meets productivity standards, deadlines, and work schedules.
- Adaptability: Demonstrate reliability, high ability to work under pressure, social competency, ability to manage conflict, assertiveness, and service oriented. Familiarize self with new knowledge, duties, and working method arising from change.
- Problem-Solving: Actively seeks solutions and assistance when technical challenges arise and ensures that actions taken are made based on operational directives and solving the emerging problems.
- Teamwork: Shows the ability and desire to work cooperatively with colleagues from different cultures and backgrounds
1.6 Additional requirements
- Flexibility to work non-traditional hours, including on-call shifts
- Knowledge of plant operation procedures, methods, and equipment
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety practices and procedures
- Language: English (intermediate level)
Employment Type: Full-time
Date Start: 01 September 2023