About the job Junior DBA
A large retail chain based in Cape Town
The primary focus of this position is to administrate, configure, monitor and maintain our Database environment. You will need to be helpful and supportive to your team, clients and your fellow developers. You will join an energetic, focused, and dynamic team.
DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION:
He/She will be responsible for supporting, coordinating and maintaining the various database applications by installing, configuring, troubleshooting and repairing the databases of our various clients in the group.
- Documentation of processes
- Database installs and DR environment configuration
- Database patching and upgrades
- Database backups and restores
- Implementation of database monitoring utilities
- Database performance investigations
- Structural changes and deployment of database objects
- User requests
- POC new technologies or processes for clients
- Provide consultancy, education and guidance in the use and exploitation of DBMS’s and database environments and infrastructure.
- Recommend technical solutions to our clients.
- Assist in the logical design and implement the physical definition of databases in conjunction with application systems analysts.
- Enhance and maintain databases to accommodate new business functions and improve existing business functions.
- Assist application developers with problem analysis and resolution of development and production failures.
- Provide and maintain technically stable and performing production environments.
- Research and evaluates alternative solutions and recommend the most efficient and cost-effective database solution for the application design.
- Monitors and analyzes ongoing database status, utilization and capacity.
- Implements and supports database security regulations, policies, and guidelines.
- Work closely with technical and client management to plan and implement database tools in support of business applications development requirements and processes.
- Utilizes standard tools to record change and problem activities for tracking purposes.
- Support user and developer access, upgrade planning, implementation and resolution of database
- Capacity Plans
- Meet contracted SLA
- Disaster recovery (backup and restore) Procedures and checks.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Oracle Enterprise Manager
- SQL Server & MySQL Database
- Oracle Data Guard
- Oracle RMAN
- Performance Tuning
- The natural tendency to take ownership and responsibility
- Strong problem solving, effective planning and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- You have a can-do attitude
- Can cope under pressure
- Positive outlook on life
- Above all, be passionate about what you do
- Strives for continuous improvement
- Works smart, not hard
- Needs to embrace change rather than fear it
- Take responsibility for team failures
- Analytical and technically minded.
- Organizational, interpersonal and verbal/written capabilities.
- Abilities to share knowledge effectively.
- Tertiary qualification in IT
- 1-3 Years’ experience as a DBA
- Sound working knowledge of Oracle.
- OCA and OCP certifications and experience
**Please note : If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.