About the job Senior Data Engineer
A large financial services company
You will be responsible to establish new technology components and reusable solution patterns that can be leveraged by business facing development teams in their day-to-day solutions. You are regarded as a data warehouse specialist with advanced analytical and technical skills who understands the data modelling, data engineering, data visualizations and analytical models.
You should be competent in communicating challenges and solutions to project and operational leadership. An understanding of data management solutions and a keen sense of the strategic value of information to an organization will be of importance. You will also be responsible for developing data pipelines, data models, monitoring program/ job performance, designing data warehousing blueprints, evaluating hardware and software platforms, and integrating systems; translating business needs into long-term architecture solutions.
You possess the ability to orchestrate delivery with a complex series of stakeholders and able to conceptualize solutions built on a hybrid of technologies with no real scope at the get go, i.e. create, navigate and negotiate the scope on the fly.
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
- Data management and BI Solution development
- Data model development and implementation of data stores
- Quality assurance and governance of BI solutions
- Ability to create efficient best practices and establishing suitable processes to ensure effective environment and solution management.
- Ability to define a structured approach to problem solving and delivery against it.
- Engage with a wide range of technical stakeholders including data engineers, database administrators and solutions architects.
- Effective solution design.
- Low error rate in deployed solutions.
- Mentor Full Stack Developers within the team
- Provision data within Information Mart Layer through the development of data pipelines using Wherescape and Cloudera
- Engineer and implement data transformation pipelines from the Data Lake
- Design and build reusable artefacts to improve speed of delivery and reliability of solutions
- Identifying performance enhancements for BI and Integration solutions
- Troubleshoot technical issues such as database non-performance, integration failures and code failures.
- Fulfil the role of technical expert on data modelling and data engineering aspects of BI products
- Design, document and communicate technical solutions that deliver on business requirements
- Form relationships and orchestrate delivery with key technical stakeholders across our business including architects
- Assist with the design of architecture used by specialists in solutions.
- Resolve data modelling issues impacting the functionality of BI products in production.
- Contribute to BI development / modelling activity incl. code reviews, issue resolution and general support
- Plans and Aligns: Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Manages Complexity: Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Organizational savvy: Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related organizational dynamics.
- Optimizes work processes: Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement
- Develops Talent: Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organizations goals.
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Application and data engineering background with a solid background in data warehousing environments
- A solid background in Data Warehousing using SQL and ETL procedures, with a strong grounding in data modelling using either Kimball or Data Vault methodologies
- Ability to comply to and manage data assets under a strict governance framework
- Strong Data Engineering background with a specific focus on staging high-quality data
- Data Management technologies (e.g. Informatica Data Quality (IDQ), Informatica Enterprise Data Catalog (EDC), Axon, EBX)
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems, Engineering, or another quantitative field
- National Diploma in an Information Technology related discipline
- 5+ years experience in application
- Data engineering background
- Solid background in SQL
- Experience in database management system (DBMS) physical implementation, including tables, joins and SQL querying.
- Experience in data warehouse automation and the development of data pipelines using ETL tools (e.g. SAP Data Services), automation (e.g. Wherescape), scheduling and test automation (e.g. Robot) is desirable
- Experience of structured data, such as entities, classes, hierarchies, relationships and metadata.
- Data architecture design and delivery
- Experience in Agile development
**Please note : If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.