About the job BI Technical Lead
Contract | 12-18 months
Client is based in Cape Town but all work currently conducted remotely
You will be responsible to lead a Data Warehouse Centre of Excellence team and be able to establish new technology components and reusable solution patterns that can be leveraged by business-facing development teams in their day-to-day solutions. You are regarded as a data warehouse specialist with advanced analytical and technical skills who understands the data modelling, data engineering, data visualisations and analytical models.
You should be able to communicate technical information to technical teams, as well as be competent in communicating challenges and solutions to project and operational leadership.
An understanding of data management solutions and a keen sense of the strategic value of information to an organisation will be of importance. You will also be responsible for developing data pipelines, data models, monitoring programme/ job performance, designing data warehousing blueprints, evaluating hardware and software platforms, and integrating systems; translating business needs into long-term architecture solutions. You possess the ability to orchestrate delivery with a complex series of stakeholders and able to conceptualise solutions built on a hybrid of technologies with no real scope at the get-go, i.e. create, navigate and negotiate the scope on the fly.
DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION:
- Data management and BI Solution development
- Data model development and implementation of data stores
- Quality assurance and governance of BI solutions
- Ability to create efficient best practices and establishing suitable processes to ensure effective environment and solution management.
- Ability to define a structured approach to problem solving and delivery against it.
- Engage with a wide range of technical stakeholders including data engineers, database administrators and solutions architects.
- Mentor Junior Full Stack and other Developers within the team
- Effective solution design.
- Low error rate in deployed solutions.
- Fulfill the role of subject matter expert on data modeling and data engineering aspects of BI products
- Oversee all BI development / modelling activity incl. code reviews, issue resolution and general support
- Mentor/ coach data engineers and data modelers to develop analytical models
- Resolve critical data modelling issues impacting the functionality of BI products in production.
- Engineer and implement data transformation pipelines
- Design, document, and communicate technical solutions that deliver on business requirements
- Identify opportunities to enhance and automate technical processes and solutions across BI projects and support operations
- Designing and building reusable artifacts to improve the speed of delivery and reliability of solutions
- Identifying performance enhancements for BI and Integration solutions
- Troubleshoot technical issues such as database non-performance, integration failures and code failures.
- Form relationships and orchestrate delivery with key technical stakeholders across our business including architects
- Engage with technology vendors and external technical experts when conceptualizing, designing, or implementing technical solutions Attend and present solutions at internal architecture forums
- Designing (and assisting with design) of architecture used by specialists in solutions.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Experience in three (3) or more of the following areas are required:
- Data warehousing principles based on Kimball and Data Vault is recommended
- Data pipeline development experience in BI is recommended.
- Knowledge and experience of structured data, such as entities, classes, hierarchies, relationships, and metadata.
- Knowledge of database management system (DBMS) physical implementation, including tables, joins and SQL querying. Experience in Cloudera advantageous
- Data modeling/Application modeling (Modelling in Wherescape or SAP HANA is preferred)
- Scripting languages, especially Python, Java, Sparc
- SQL Query performance tuning and optimization
- Working knowledge of Attunity, Cloudera, and exposure to Wherescape is preferred
- Data pipeline automation using Bamboo
- Data test automation using Robot and X-Ray
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems, Engineering, or another quantitative field / National Diploma in an Information Technology related discipline preferred
- 10+ years experience in application and data engineering background with a solid background in SQL is required
- Data architecture design and delivery experience preferred
- Experience in Wherescape
- Experience in Data Vault
**Please note: If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.