About the job Lead Data Analyst
Contract - initial 6 months with a high probability of extension.
A large financial services company based in Cape Town
Cape Town, currently all work is done remotely but on-site work will also be required.
Guided by the Scrum Master and Technical Lead, this role will be responsible for sourcing and transforming a wide range of data across the business into formats that can be used by end-users to develop differentiating business insights.
We are looking for an individual with experience in using a variety of data tools, analysis methods and data visualization to turn data into actionable insights with demonstrable business impact.
They will assist in specifying complex business rules using the specified toolsets to enable the data modelers to create complex analytical models. Hence, they need to understand and continuously seek to build knowledge of data and information.
The person fulfilling this role will not only analyze data models but also test the outputs, investigate & troubleshoot data issues and devise solutions in line with best practice. A high competency in problem-solving capabilities is thus essential. They should be able to communicate business information to technical teams, as well as be competent in communicating challenges and solutions to the team.
An understanding of data management solutions and a keen sense of the strategic value of information to an organization will be of importance.
You will be responsible for the end-to-end tasks within the data analysis framework working with business representatives, product owners, etc. to define and elicit requirements, analyze data and create reports/dashboards.
DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION:
- Acquire data from various data sources and combine & transform data into interpretable datasets, reports or dashboards
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques
- Extend the company’s data with third party sources of information when required
- Process, cleanse and verify the integrity of data used for analysis
- Perform data profiling of data contained in source systems
- Provide detailed analysis of all data implemented into the database
- Provide the data mapping and associated transformation rules for each data item
- Ensure that the business requirements and subsequent development activities are supported by accurate information.
- Interpret data, analyse results using analytical techniques and provide reports and/or dashboards
- Identify, analyse, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Use data to answer key questions about the business.
- Own and maintain dashboards, ongoing reporting, and ad hoc requests from the organization.
- Support and maintain the project data models at multiple levels of detail and functionality (conceptual, logical, normalised, relational, dimensional, application level, subject-level, integrated, etc.)
- Assist Data Modelers to draw up detailed data models.
- Work directly with management and other business users to gather requirements, provide status updates, and build relationships
- Present information using data visualisation techniques
- Facilitate of requirements gathering workshops with the business
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to analyse information needs, functional requirements and business processes
- Provides problem solving assistance to other team members
- Coach and assist junior team members
Analysis and Visualisation
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Knowledge of BI processes and methodologies such as (but not limited to):
- Agile development
- A background in SQL, application and information architecture and ETL procedures is required.
- Data integration
- Data modelling/Application modelling (Modelling in SAP HANA is preferred)
- Data analysis, visualization and reporting
- SDLC, release management and project management
- API integration
- Diploma/Bachelor Degree (Information Systems; Statistics; Data or Computer Science; Engineering) or equivalent (preferred but not essential)
- 5-8 years' experience as a Data analyst in a BI environment.
- Functional experience in analytics, data visualization or reporting
- Knowledge of and experience with reporting packages
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings for stakeholder use
- Experience working with data in various data sources and databases
- Ability to translate business requirements into non-technical terms
- Demonstrated experience in handling large data sets and relational databases with proven SQL skills
- Ability to comply to and manage data assets under strict governance framework
- Experience in agile development desired
- DataStage and or other ETL / DI tools
- DB2 and or other RDBS’s
- SAP Hana (DB)
- SAP Data Services
- Cloudera / Hadoop
- Cloud deployments and integration (esp AWS)
- Some knowledge of Teradata, Attunity, Cloudera, advanced visualisation technologies and data management experience is preferred and highly advantageous
- Database viewing tools
- Scripting languages, esp Python, Java, Sparc
- Report generation tools
- Ability to work with data profiling, data quality and reference data toolsets
- Business experience in financial services
**Please note : If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.