About the job Mid-level BI Developer
A large retail chain based in Cape Town.
- Architect holistic data management solutions
- Gather and understand data requirements
- Design, implement and socialise data frameworks, standards and patterns
- Provide technical expertise regarding database technologies, data modelling, data acquisition/integration and visualisation tools
- Perform quality assurance checks on designs and implementations to ensure standards, policies and patterns are being applied effectively
- Prepare and maintain data architecture artefacts
- Fulfil the role of subject matter expert on data modelling and data engineering aspects of BI products
- Oversee all BI development/modeling activity incl. code reviews, issue resolution and general support
- Resolve critical data modelling issues impacting the functionality of BI products in production.
- Engineer and implement data transformation pipelines
- Design, document and communicate technical solutions that deliver on business requirements
- Identify opportunities to enhance and automate technical processes and solutions across BI projects and support operations
- Designing and building reusable artefacts to improve speed of delivery and reliability of solutions
- Identifying performance enhancements for BI and Integration solutions
- Troubleshoot technical issues such as database non-performance, integration failures and code failures.
- Form relationships and orchestrate delivery with key technical stakeholders across our business including architects
- Engage with technology vendors and external technical experts when conceptualising, designing, or implementing technical solutions
- Attend and present solutions at internal architecture forums
DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION:
Data management and BI Solution development
- Data model development and implementation of data stores
- Quality assurance and governance of BI solutions
- Ability to create efficient best practices and establishing suitable processes to ensure effective environment and solution management.
- Ability to define a structured approach to problem solving and delivery against it.
- Engage with a wide range of technical stakeholders including data engineers, database administrators and solutions architects.
- Effective solution design.
- Low error rate in deployed solutions.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- 5+ years experience in application and data engineering background
- A solid background in SQL is required
- End-to-end BI solution implementation experience preferred
- Data architecture design and delivery experience preferred
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems, Engineering, or another quantitative field / National Diploma in an Information Technology related discipline preferred
Experience in three (3) or more of the following areas are required:
- Modern Data warehousing principles
- Data pipeline development experience in BI is recommended.
- Knowledge and experience of structured data, such as entities, classes, hierarchies, relationships, and metadata.
- Knowledge of database management system (DBMS) physical implementation, including tables, joins and SQL querying.
- Data modelling
- SQL Query performance tuning and optimisation
- Working knowledge of data replication tools
- Data pipeline automation
- Data test automation
- Data visualization
- Exposure to Cloud-based data warehousing platforms (eg. Big Query, Snowflake etc.)
- Exposure to Google Cloud Platform
**Please note : If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.