About the job Senior BI Developer
Contract - initial 6 -12 month contract with a high possibility of extension.
A large financial services company based in Cape Town.
Cape Town, but currently all work is conducted remotely.
- Design, build and implement holistic data management solutions
- Gather and understand data requirements
- Design, implement and socialize data frameworks, standards, and patterns
- Provide technical expertise regarding database technologies, data modeling, data acquisition/integration and visualization tools
- Perform quality assurance checks on designs and implementations to ensure standards, policies and patterns are being applied effectively
- Prepare and maintain data artefacts
- Fulfill the role of subject matter expert on data modeling and data engineering aspects of BI products
- Oversee all BI development/modeling activity incl. code reviews, issue resolution, and general support
- Resolve critical data modeling issues impacting the functionality of BI products in production.
- Engineer and implement data transformation pipelines
- Design, document, and communicate technical solutions that deliver on business requirements
- Identify opportunities to enhance and automate technical processes and solutions across BI projects and support operations
- Designing and build reusable artefacts to improve the speed of delivery and reliability of solutions
- Identifying performance enhancements for BI and Integration solutions
- Troubleshoot technical issues such as database non-performance, integration failures, and code failures.
- Form relationships and orchestrate delivery with key technical stakeholders across our business including architects
- Engage with technology vendors and external technical experts when conceptualizing, designing, or implementing technical solutions
- Attend and present solutions at internal architecture forums
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION:
Data management and BI Solution development
- Data model development and implementation of data stores
- Quality assurance and governance of BI solutions
- Ability to create efficient best practices and establish suitable processes to ensure effective environment and solution management.
- Ability to define a structured approach to problem-solving and delivery against it.
- Engage with a wide range of technical stakeholders including data engineers, database administrators, and solutions architects.
- Effective solution design.
- Low error rate in deployed solutions.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- 8+ years experience in BI applications and data engineering background
- A solid background in SQL is required
- End-to-end BI solution implementation experience preferred
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems, Engineering,
Another quantitative field / National Diploma in Information Technology related discipline
Experience in three (3) or more of the following areas are required:
- Dimensional modeling and data warehousing principles
- Data pipeline development experience in BI
- Knowledge and experience of structured data, such as entities, classes, hierarchies, relationships, and metadata.
- Knowledge of database management system (DBMS) physical implementation, including tables, joins, and SQL querying.
- Strong Data modeling (Kimball)
- SQL Query performance tuning and optimization
- Working knowledge of data replication tools
- Data pipeline automation
- Data test automation
- Data visualization
- Data Vault Methodology
- Data Automation tool exposure
- Hadoop and Big data exposure
**Please note: If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.