About the job Sommelier
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Sommelier assists the Beverage Manager to ensure the efficient operations of all bar areas.
You are responsible for creating a friendly, guest-oriented service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
- Proactively find ways to promote wine pairings and packages, throughout each cruise, to generate revenue outside of the inclusive wines and Silver Beverage Packages; ensure all bar charges are charged accordingly & to the correct Guests account; ensure that no open check remains at the end of each business day; prepare and conduct wine training sessions for the F&B Department; provide special lectures and/or wine tastings onboard for Guests.
- Adapt wine lists onboard according to available stock and local wines; work together with the Beverage Manager to contact local wine producers for wines that can enhance the Guest experience.
- Support the Beverage Manager to suggest any updates needed in the Beverage Department and develop all necessary Beverage Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Report and follow up on breakages and/or maintenance issues for wine cabinets, cellars & other areas located in the Beverage Department.
- Be present during the opening & operation of World Café & Restaurant lunch, ensuring that proper manning, glassware and Beverage service mis-en-place are ready for service; assist the Beverage Manager with the opening, closing & operation of outlets and additional events.
- Prepare and maintain up to date reports, statistics and cost controls for wines; liaise with the Beverage Manager & Inventory Manager for all wine orders; ensure the proper rotation of slow-moving stock and the depletion of all beverage stock.
- Keep and store all Bar and Cellar Inventory Stock, in accordance with set par-levels adhering to all Public Health Policies; actively monitor bar and cellar stores to avoid over-ordering.
- Oversee cost control and adhere to set budgets; conduct stock takes and inventory, according to company procedures; ensure bar inventories and stock are declared in accordance with local customs.
- Minimize equipment loss/damage, and maintain immaculate cleanliness standards in relevant areas, by applying safe working policies and procedures, according to all Public Health Policies, and ensuring that all equipment is sanitized and returned accordingly, after each use.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention; meet
- with Team Leaders on a daily basis for The Daily Reunion, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Vikings STAR Service Standards.
- Regularly inspect that the mise-en-place for all areas are prepared 15 minutes prior to service.
- Provide the highest level of comfort and service to Guests, as per Vikings STAR Service Standards and all Public Health Policies; manage service according to Guest flow, embarkation & disembarkation, sea day activities & other activities.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed, ensuring Maritime Labor Convention (MLC) compliance and onboard training, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as
- required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team at all times by complying with Vikings Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Ensure that all Human Resources related issues are handled properly and fairly, in line with Vikings Policies, Procedures and Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrates outstanding flexibility: able to work at different times of the day, under pressure and reflect a positive can-do attitude and the best image of Viking at all times.
- Become knowledgeable and ensure your team are knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
- Positively contribute to achieving/succeeding Bar KPI goals (quality & financial) for the Bar Department, have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
- This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- A required minimum of 2 years experience as a Chief / Head Sommelier or Cellar Master, within an International 5 Star Hospitality and/or restaurant environment. Shipboard experience in the position is required.
- Must have an internationally recognized Certified Sommelier Level I, preferably Level II, or Master Sommelier qualification, must demonstrate the ability to work independently.
- Fluent in English - must have excellent English communication skills to clearly communicate to the Beverage Team and Guests. The ability to speak additional languages is an advantage.
- Must have experience in leading multi-cultural teams and be flexible, stress resistant, and a committed team player.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required, with excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies; team builder with exceptional work ethic, motivational skills and coaching abilities.
- Working for the best Cruise Line company in the world
- Excellent salary in US Dollars
- Great benefits