About the job Chef de Cuisine
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Chef de Cuisine (CDC) supervises and manages the entire Galley of the venue assigned to them, ensuring the smooth operation of all events, food preparation, presentation and delivery, over the course of service in that venue, and that the quality standards & procedures are in line with Company Procedures and STAR Service Standards.
- You are required to serve as a link between your assigned Galley and the Main Galley.
- It is your responsibility to ensure safe, quality food production, and to create a friendly, guest-oriented service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
- In conjunction with the Sous Chef, the CDC is fully responsible for the entire Galley of the assigned venue, which includes but is not limited to food safety, creativity, cleanliness, staff management, time management, repair & maintenance, public relations and guest interaction.
- Visit the assigned Galley venue as often as possible during the course of service, in conjunction with the assigned Head Waiter, checking every table and ensuring that Guests are provided with the best meal/service possible; follow up on negative feedback received; monitor reports such as Voyage\Cruise Report, to identify opportunities to improve Guest service and satisfaction.
- Assist the Executive Chef to prepare requisitions for all catering equipment to ensure a productive operation.
- Assist all Section Heads in areas of responsibility to countercheck all food requisitions and make the necessary adjustments; regularly collect and enter all meal count figures from the assigned galley, into the meal count system; monitor/control flagged and expensive item requisitions; check meat, fish & seafood ordering & thawing procedures; tour all storerooms frequently and assist the Provisions Team; conduct menu briefings every two days or as often as required.
- Countercheck daily deliveries from the Storeroom to ensure its accuracy.
CHEF DE CUISINE
- Ensure that all menus, recipes, methods and specifications are adhered to, and spot-check all venues serving food on a daily basis to ensure that all food outlets & displays are in line with the quality & cleanliness of Vikings Standards and all Public Health Policies. Visit various food preparation stations & conduct random tastings to correct any discrepancies (quality/taste/appearance) immediately.
- Be familiar with the Human Resources Manual & Shipboard Training; have an in-depth understanding of the working hours policies & procedures; be familiar with crew contracts and work schedule hours/week, to maintain working hours paperwork and if necessary, correct entries for payroll.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention; meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for The Daily Reunion, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Vikings STAR Service Standards.
- Regularly inspect that the mise-en-place for all areas are prepared 15 minutes prior to service.
- Appoint and enforce specific job responsibilities to all key personnel working under the direction of the Chef de Cuisine and establish the manner and means to train personnel.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed, ensuring Maritime Labor Convention (MLC) compliance and onboard training, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team at all times by complying with Vikings Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Become knowledgeable and ensure your team are knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
- Positively contribute to achieving/succeeding Culinary KPI goals (quality & financial) for the Culinary
- Department; have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
- Demonstrate the ability to take over the Executive Chefs position for a temporary period (with the necessary training) at any given time, assist with Cooking Demonstrations, as required.
- This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
A required minimum of ten years culinary experience, including three to four years of experience as a Chef de Cuisine or similar position, within a 5 Star hospitality environment; advanced culinary skills, are required. Previous haute-cuisine education is an advantage.
Fluent in English - must have excellent English communication skills to clearly interpret and orate documents, such as menus and recipes.
Must be able to effectively handle complex situations, including managing interactions with guests. Must have experience in leading multi-cultural teams; flexible, stress resistant, committed team player.
Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required.
Team builder with effective motivational skills and coaching abilities, with a demonstrable comprehensive knowledge of Public Health and Sanitation compliance
Must be at least twenty-one (21) years old, able to physically handle 50+ lbs. (30KGs) on a daily basis, and work a minimum of eleven hours a day, seven days a week.
Previous cruise industry experience is an advantage.
- Excellent salary paid in US Dollars
- Great benefits and living conditions
- Working for the top cruise line company in the world.