About the job Sous Chef
You MUST have previous Cruise Ship Experience to apply for this position.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
To assist the Executive Sous Chef to oversee the entire assigned galley operation, monitoring all food preparations, presentation and delivery over the course of the day. To control the opening of and service hours of the Service Line. To be in full control of the Galley Operation and to be in charge in the absence of the Executive Sous Chef.
- The Sous Chef is responsible for the smooth and efficient running operation of food production areas in their assigned galleys.
- They are to constantly analyze that the quality of food production and preparation are in compliance with company standards and recipes.
- Produces and maintains the expected level of food quality in their area of responsibility.
- They are to ensure on-going training, following standards set by the Executive Chef.
- Work closely with the Kitchen Steward in order to accomplish tasks related to inventory, equipment control and maintenance, USPH Sanitation Rules/Regulations, training and re-enforcement.
- Assist and oversee the electronic requisitioning and ordering process to ensure the proper usage of ingredients.
- Assist the Executive Sous Chef to supervise the Galley operation and to be in line with Company Standards.
- Assist the Executive Sous Chef to prepare additional working schedules (Embarkation Day, Special Functions, etc.) for all galley personnel.
- Ensure that the Recipe review program is conducted on a daily basis by all CDP and Section Heads.
- Daily application of the Culinary Checklist to monitor production and preparation levels.
- Proper use of the menu checklist and recipe review; these files must be kept in the Chefs office for corporate reviews.
- Monitor working hours, maintain necessary records, and if applicable, correct entries for payroll purposes.
- Be present during loadings for quality control/assurance.
- Must be knowledgeable of established quality standards and company policies.
- Must provide the necessary guidance/training and information for all Galley Staff in order to be fully productive and follow up on their progress.
- Responsible for maintaining quality and consistency in taste, presentation and appearance according to recipes and pictures; any possible discrepancies being rectified immediately.
- Communicate on a daily basis with the provision team to utilize highly perishable food items. Must check the fresh produce chillers on a daily basis to avoid shortages during the cruise.
- Ensure economical work practices and control the food production to minimize and avoid wastage.
- Assist all Section Heads with preparing the daily food requisitions according to forecast figures. Must have a complete knowledge and full understanding of USPH Rules and Regulations, ensuring that working/cleaning practices are applied throughout the operation.
- Ensure immaculate cleanliness in assigned Galley and adjacent areas; applying safe work practices and procedures according to USPH Regulations and prevent any equipment damages/loss.
- Responsible for controlling and maintaining all equipment distributed to galley staff, ensuring its cleaned / sanitized and returned in an acceptable and proper condition after each use.
- In conjunction with the Kitchen Steward, the Sous Chef is responsible for the control and maintenance of all galley equipment; reporting any damage and/or malfunctions following up as necessary.
- Ensure that all Cooks are in proper, appropriate uniforms, with special attention to those working in public areas. Personal appearance and hygiene must be according to Company policies at all times.
- Ensure that their area of responsibility is ready for any announced and/or unannounced USPH inspection, done either by the Ships Management or local public health authorities and must be present during all inspections.
- Ensure that all galley personnel transport their provisions (vegetables and fruits washed, cleaned and sanitized) with the correct utensils from the storeroom to their respective outlets.
- Conduct the Dinner Service Line in the assigned Galley ensuring a smooth and efficient service, presentation and final plating. The Dinner service must be conducted in a calm professional manner.
- Duties might be extended to the supervision of other activities, i.e. afternoon tea, pool parties, cocktail parties, etc.
- In conjunction with the Jr. Sous Chef, they must ensure that items for the Buffet are delivered on time, in full quantity, proper condition and of excellent quality.
- Control the Breakdown after each service, in conjunction with the Jr. Sous Chef.
- Assist the Executive Chef to prepare requisitions for all Catering equipment to ensure a productive operation.
- Must be familiar with the galley layout in terms of safety and security, must have a full understanding of ship rules/regulations (SMS) and participate in all required Safety
- Ensures that the HACCP program is applied accordingly.
- Must have a thorough understanding of working hours procedures/policies; be familiar with the contracts and work schedule hours/week and supporting documentation.
- Personality and Appearance: Must have a pleasant and courteous personality. Must be well groomed, and presentable.
- Health: Physically fit and in good health, without any previous record of any medical problems, drugs and alcoholism. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs (30 Kilos) on a daily basis and able to work a minimum of ten hours per day, seven days a week.
- Professional Experience and Education: Standard High School Education. Requires a minimum of four years in the profession (Quality Hotels or Restaurants).
- Communication and Language Skills: Must be able to read and speak English clearly in order to interpret documents such as recipes and manuals. Other languages are considered a plus.
- Work Ethic: Must be a serious professional and take pride in their work. Adherence to Company Rules and Regulations is a must for success on the job.
- At least 5 years experience in a 5-star hotel and/or previous cruise ship experience.
- Working for the world's best Cruise Line
- Excellent salary in US Dollars
- Great benefits