About the job Lead Software/Firmware Engineer
Interested in building a new generation of GNSS satellites at the speed of new space?
GNSS (GPS) creates upwards of $500B in economic value in the US every year, supporting everything from consumer applications, to transportation systems, to time sync for critical infrastructure. As these industries progress towards autonomy the performance and security demands of their navigation systems are increasing beyond what GNSS can support, leaving a need for a cost-effective global solution.
Using lessons we've learned at places like SpaceX and Blue Origin, Xona is constructing a modern satellite network at the rapid pace of the new space industry leveraging the recent wave of technology and regulatory advancements. Building on our patent pending small satellite architecture, we are developing a robust and accurate service that is an independent alternative to GNSS rather than a correction, solving the longstanding challenge of obtaining a reliable high accuracy solution from the very fragile GNSS signals. Our satellite system will provide the first ever high-accuracy global navigation and timing services with the security and resilience modern applications need to operate safely at scale.
At Xona you will develop state-of-the-art hardware and software solutions to solve real problems that can have a massive world impact. Xona is driven by the mission to enable modern devices to operate safely in any environment, anywhere on Earth, and unlock the true potential of the age of autonomy.
Xona is looking for a self-motivated Lead Software Developer/Engineer with previous experience leading a development team for robust mission critical applications. In this role, you will lead a small to medium software team to architect, develop, integrate, and test the software and firmware that runs on our orbiting satellites. As a lead on our engineering team, you will contribute throughout all phases of development from the selection of key hardware and operating systems on the payload, to the execution and deployment of the code that runs on those components. Working closely with the hardware teams, you will develop flight capable systems that meet specified requirements which enable reliable on-orbit operations. The system will be required to run navigation algorithms, transmit an RF signal, and provide interactions with the sensors through UART, SPI, I2C, etc. and interfaces, such as USB, PCIe, Ethernet, etc., which are all a part of Xonas satellite.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in computer science, electrical engineering, or related field
- 7+ years of related experience in a fast-paced environment
- Experience leading a team of 3+ developers through end-to-end development from concept to delivery
- Understand of principles of designing firmware and software for space applications
- Familiarity with space capable processors, FPGAs, and architectures
- Experience developing robust systems in C++
- Experience with git and the gitflow development process
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the United States (i.e. Green Card holder), or other protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
Desired Qualification (not all are expected)
- Experience with developing for real time operating systems and/or embedded linux
- Familiarity with arm-based processors along with System on Chip and System on Module designs
- Experience with UART, SPI, I2C, Ethernet interfaces, USB, PCIe, etc. including implementing drivers for different interfaces in C/C++